2014 CES News: ARC Showcases New CD-6

Just read that ARC is showcasing a new digital player, the CD-6. If anyone gets a chance to visit the ARC room and catches the new CD-6, please share your thoughts and reactions. Also pricing. Thanks
bifwynne
My mistake.

Bif, it was not a review. They merely mentioned it being one of the components in one of the system showrooms. They did mention the price, which was what caught my eye.
Mitch ... the CD-6, like its bigger brother, the Ref CD-9, has quad chips in mono mode, or something like that. I believe the DAC 8 has a similar topology. Aside from the topology difference, the CD-6/9 can upsample and supposedly has a broader bandwidth. Most redbook CDP have a brick-wall 20K Hz filter.

While I appreciate the CD-6's added flexibility regarding its DAC and ability to decode different digital formats, I wonder if the quad mono chip (or whatever) topology relates to the playback sonics of the redbook CDP functionality. Stated differentlty, I wonder if the CD-6/9 sound better than the now discontinued Ref CD-8 in redbook CD mode??

If anyone has been there and done it, I would appreciate reading your reactions and comments. Thanks.
Any word on whether ARC will offer any upgrades to the CD5 ? It looks like it can't be fully upgraded to the CD6 but maybe some partial upgrades hopefully...
My two cents. I also have a CD8 and 5SE combo and for redbook there isn't anything better unless one gets into exotic separates. If it were me and I was set on getting into digital while retaining redbook CD quality playback I'd add a high quality DAC w/ all the digital features and retain the CD8 in its unmolested status into the 5SE. Doesn't have to be ARC either. I would not give up the tube front end of the CD8 for my CDs.
Djcxxx, thanks for the comments. Do you think the redbook CD "side of the house" in the Ref CD-9 is basically the same CDP as the Ref CD-8? Ever get a chance to check out the CD-9?

Djcxxx, unless you or someone else could persuasively convince me that the CD-9 was "in another league" compared to the CD-8 as regards redbook CD, I'd probably try to pick up an ARC DAC 8 if I wanted to try other digital sources. Otherwise, I think your comment about the CD-8 sounds spot on.