220 Volt Ciruits

Has anyone run their audio equipment off of a 220 volt circuit (like appliances use) either directly or using some sort of splitter or transformer? I am hoping to be able o use an unused appliance outlet in my new apartment as a dedicated line for my audio system. Any thoughts?
128x128nhorton
This is a common conversion with crews that need power to light for commercial photography. A converter can be made with the large 220 three prong plug on one end, and a box with several 110 volt outlets on the other. There used to be a book published by GE that contained the "how to" on this. I have a Hubbell 220 twist lock at the two amp positions on my own system. I sold my Tube Research amps that used this circuit, but like you, have my eye on that 220 plug as a possible future outlet in 110.
Nhorton: What I did for my system is to take 2 110 volt lines from the dryer breaker in the breaker box and run wires to two Hospital grade hubbells in my listening area. Added a separate couple of grounding rods and the results have been very pleasing. One wall plate for front end the second one for my amp. I think it's a worth to do modification. Regards
.....whoa!!! Won't 220 volts, straight out of the main breaker box damage stereo equipment designed to run on 110-120 volts???? Craig.
you can set ps audio's pp600 to accept 220 and deliver 110. the only challenge, as i see it, is the $1900 admission fee.
More to discover