6SN7 suffixes

I'm using 6SN7's in my Atma-sphere equipment. I was curios about the multitude of letter suffixes that follow the 6SN7 tube type.
fatparrot
I really like the Sylvania VT-231s as well. I don't know anything about the differences between the metal base or chrome dome versions though.

One tube I've really enjoyed the last few years is the black glass Ken-Rad VT-231. Many of the same attributes as the Sylvania, big soundstage and great extension, but the Ken-Rad sounds more organic to me and that was something I was looking for in my system.

Thanks for the pointer Nutella!
Check out www.tubeseller.com. Everything you need to know about 6SN7 tubes is there. Brimar CV1988 tubes are especially nice, and one of my faves.
Fatparrot,
You can also go over to vintagetubservices.com and make your way to the stock list page, then click on octal tubes.

If you read your way down thru the selections and brands,
you will also get a minor description and history of the
differant types.

A proper answer to your question would require a short term
paper on 6SN7's as it would cover the history, require-ments, uses, tooling changes, etc... thru the years. But
Andy puts in some helpfull, and interesting tidbits in the
price list that may help you out.
Fatparrot, when I first got into the 6SN7s I did exactly what Charliee is suggesting. Andy has breakdowns of all the tubes he carries with some nice brief descriptions.
More to discover