A Newbie's First Week Impressions -- Vinyl Rules

Well after owning my first turntable for a week and having let the cartrige run in a good bit (Music Hall MMF-5.1 with Goldring 1012 cart), I've come to the conclusion that I've heard nothing digital that even comes close to the realism here. In a way it feels as though somehow I have rediscovered music. Up until now, I had never heard a half-decent analog system, so I didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't expect this much of a difference. So often on these forums I see comments posted by "vinyl zealots" and I can see how it is very easy to become one. And this is all with a very modestly priced turntable setup. I now feel as though my system has room to grow. Before I was always trying to dampen and smooth out the harsh sound of digital. I used to think that the harshness was caused by other things (solid state instead of tubes, bright speakers, etc.). After purchasing this turntable I discovered what the problem had been this whole time. I will probably never be able to afford a cd player that I think is capable of coming close to analog playback (I would imagine it would take a good $10k to reach that level). So to achieve audio playback that is acceptable to my ears, digital is just out of my reach.

So I guess this rant is really just my way of saying hello and welcoming myself to the vinyl crowd. I know I'm gonna be part of it for a long time.

P.S. Do you guys have any recommendations for record cleaning and ways to reduce static? I've already got a humidifer running...
jwglista
I wish there was a way I could go all vinyl and never see a digital medium or cd again. I cannot because most Live Dead releases are on cd and occasionally something else appears on cd that simply cannot be had on vinyl. But, if any of you have heard a first-rate table set up carefully -here I am thinking of RMAF 2007 and Roy Gregory's and Richard Foster's dem- I am sure the question of vinyl's superiority would be moot. Sadly, many of us have not heard these "hidden" qualties in their tables and systems even though we think we have.
I enjoy both vinyl and digital formats. I hope you will check out the KAB Evo record cleaner. In addition search for the vinyl "steam cleaning" threads that feature Crem1. I use a multi-step procedure for cleaning LPs. Google: Audio Intelligence record cleaning solutions.
Elf73

There are several threads about DIY RCM fluid just there for the taking.....search and you will find bunches of info, ideas and recipes. I use an DIY fluid that is Ultra Pure water, Alcohol, and Gene in a Bottle butmany have their own ideas.
i've always records(lifetime of collecting) 'cause they're big, and you interact with them. as far as sound, its a dice roll regardless of the software. that said, the dna in all cd players and turntables is more alike than the fringe hi priced manufacturers will ever admit to.
The Dark Disc will soon call you to tubes-tubes-tubes for a preamp, than an amp (ideally monoblocks!), than a phono preamp, leading to a more expensive turntable and/or cartridge, isolation devices, rack, static gun, different record clearning solutions, and rice paper lp sleeves. Shortly, you'll discover the magic of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab discs, Nautilus, Direct Discs, and Half Speed Masters. At each and every new step a perceived new level of musical nirvana will be revealed enticing you to more and greater pursuit of audio esctasy. Welcome to the club of doomed souls - it ain't pretty but we have a helluva good time.