A phono amp that beats the MFA Magus's phono?

I've been using the phono stage on my MFA Magus for the last year and, overall, I like it pretty well, but I'm wondering if I could get more out of a dedicated phono amp. Can anyone suggest a stand-alone phono amp that would improve over the sound of the Magus's phono stage? I'm hoping to buy in the 1k-2k range, used.

The Magus is part of a small phono-only system that includes Wright Monoblocks (3.5 watts), a Rega P5 TT with a Koetsu Black cart, and Reference 3a MM DeCapo i speakers bi-wired with Kimber Kable 4TC cable. It's a small, sensitive, all-tube system that has a lot of air, tight but somewhat thin bass, and slightly etched-sounding highs. The mids sound nicely liquid to my ears. This is my second system, and it's in a small office (10x8) with wood floors and walls.

One possibility is the EAR 834P. It has volume controls, which would be nice, because then I could take the Magus out of the signal path altogether, since I only use a TT in this system. I've never heard an 834P though, and there are no high end audio stores within 90 miles of where I live, so my chances for auditioning gear are rare.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
128x128klein_rogge
Newbee, I agree with you on the speakers. Once I bought the Audiokinesis Jazz Module I found they immediately clicked with my amp, more so than any other amp/speaker combo I have had. I also found that changes further up the chain made less of a difference, especially cables. Maybe I'm fortunate not to have to load down the cartridge and perhaps I should grateful for the amp/speaker/room synergy as a result.
The 834p is a wonderful smooth phonostage. I have also found the Whest phono stages-especially used- are a great bargain -detailed,usical and highly revealing. The whest .20 in my opinion sounds better in my system than did the EAR. You cN also improve the EAR greatly by modifying it
Tube rolling is the way to go. I've had a Magus longer than any other component in my system by far (21 yrs). Older tubes such as Mullards or Amperexes will dramatically change the sound in the phono and line stage vs any newer production tubes. The only weakness of the Magus in my opinion is that it is hard on NOS and used older 6DJ8 tubes in the line stage. It tends to chew up roughly every other older tube I have used but the results are oh so worth it! Those that do last more than a few mins or hours can last for years. No such problem in the 12AX7 and 12AT7 tubes in the phono stage. Another option would be to have the Magus upgraded by Scott Franklin (the F in MFA). He does reasonably priced servicing and mods which I have had done and highly recommend.
The next logical step.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_images.php?cfid=649021019&image_id=3418154

Still one of the best sounding phono stages. The only rub is their age. If I were to consider this I'd call Scott Franklin, show him the link and get an idea of the cost of updating before making an offer.
i have been happy with my magus a-2 for 22 years. great phono section & tube rolling allowed. my mods from bill jones, former builder of moore/franklin's luminessence amps. i use sumikos black bird mc but that's 2 mv.