About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: lugnut50@msn.com. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: pfrumkin1@comcast.net.

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
J.D.,

Wize words well spoken. I am learning to slow down but only by the school of hard knocks. I'm an ornery bastard with a thick skull sometimes and this is one example of it. The guys in Dallas looked out for me without making me feel an invalid or inadequate.

I don't have much time to write since I have a busy day ahead. Man, for a guy that doesn't do a lick of work it's funy how I get behind. Tonight will be enjoyable in spite of the chemo today. I picked up a lot of new albums while in Dallas and look forward to giving them a listen.

The Dallas trip was a blast. Albert has an incredible sense of humor and an equal zest for life. You simply could not ask for a better host. He's gracious, kind and giving. It's like we knew each other a lifetime. Plus, surprise, surprise, Cello and Nrchy showed up too. Everyone kept this as a total surprise from me and I was touched.

I could write volumes about Albert's system. What he has done is incredible. Music just emerges from the blackest background I've every experienced. This is no small feat what with probably over 100 tubes in the mix. The coolest part though is just how big a music lover Albert is. The equipment is simply a means to an end. It's that simple. And, what a software collection! So much of what we listened to was new to me so now my list of must get LP's is much longer. His quick wit and endless stream of jokes aside I found that he is much like me. In many ways we are kindred spirits. Perhaps I could best describe him as Lugnut on steroids. It's a shame that Paul could not attend.

It's nice to be home to a more leisurely pace. Dallas is a huge, busy city. I won't complain about traffic around here anymore. Still, for a city that large it is very attractive and incredibly clean. There are at least three truly wonderful places to eat and I suspect there are countless others as well. I hope to go back some time and listen some more, finish that bottle of cognac and bring along a few "new to Albert" LP's now that I have a clearer understanding of what makes up his library.

I hope every one of you is in the mood I'm in. Life is very, very good thanks to my Audiogon friends.

I really don't want to forget about Vetterone. He's a great traveling companion and lots of fun too.
This is just an immediate response. I’ll post a thought out and reasoned response later. I don’t want to get too caught up with thought and reason! I have been looking forward to this weekend since Albert called me and told me he’d kick my sorry white %$#@ if I didn’t show up. I have wanted to meet Pat for many months. I’m not ashamed to say that I have a lot of respect and admiration for him. It has been a life changing event for many people, but to encounter someone on the web is to look though a darkened window when compared to conversing in person. The small amount of money it cost was well spent. Pat is a blast. He’s not as sedate as his comment about Albert being Lugnut on steroids might indicate. He gave the rest of us a run for our money. We hit three very good record stores. I went home with a lot of new vinyl: read, 27 LPs plus a seven LP Pink Floyd box set thanks to a friend of Albert. Thank you Dennis, if you ever read this!!! Thanks also to Louis and Dennis for opening their homes and letting us enjoy their rooms and systems.

We spent many hours listening to music, lying to each other and telling the worst jokes known to all of mankind! Albert put lots of miles on his truck, a fact for which each of us was grateful. Thanks to Cello for dinner Saturday night, and Vetterone on Sunday night!

Having met Patrick made the trip worth the effort, meeting Cello and Vetterone was like winning the lottery and then finding out that the payout was more than you expected. I would love to get to Boise to spend more time with these music lovers.

Thanks to Albert for putting this together and making it possible. The world hasn’t changed, but for four days Albert made it seem smaller.
Boy,,,it sure sounds like you guys had a great time!!!!!!!!Pat,seems like your living a fuller life than most folks without your worries,,,Right on Brother,geez,showing my age with those last 3 words,,,im glad things are going well!!you have a little slice of heaven on earth,,,,an endless supply of audio buddys!
As everyone can tell from Lugnut's post, we had a blast.

I had never met any of these guys face to face except for Nate (Nrchy), who visited me about a year ago. When I told Nate that he and Larry would be welcome to come celebrate, they both jumped at the chance.

Riding around in my GMC with Pat (Lugnut), Nate (Nrchy), Steve (Vetterone) and Larry (Cello), was like revisiting with old friends at a high school reunion. People that you really cared about but had not seen in 20 years. Now you are back together, surprised, grateful and laughing about old times.

It's uncanny how similar all of us responded to each other regardless of the topic, and we spoke of many things. All these guys brought experiences that were shared around the dinner table and during the many car trips in search of LP's.

I think everyone found at least one album they had been looking for and it was a blast coming back to my home and spinning them in my system. Cello got a "Men At Work" for $3.98 that was absolutely like new. Amazing how good it sounded for a pop record.

Pat is an amazing guy, the kind of guy you want to be friends with for life. Courteous, thoughtful and reserved, with a sense of humor as twisted as mine. I am happy we shared this time and music. High end audio is as always, the only venture in my life where I met the BEST people.

Even my wife and I are together because of music, she was helping out at a radio station where my friend, who was the DJ, allowed me access to the control room, where we spoke while the LP's were spinning.

Love of music is an amazing venture and never ceases to amaze and entertain me, as well as providing me with people who change my life and make it more worthwhile.
Hi Pat,

I was just sitting here listening to a little Coltrane tonight and was wondering how everything is going. I hope you are feeling well and keeping your spirits up! Sounds like Dallas was a great trip.

Let us all know how you are doing.

Joe