Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Loving this thread. Matt, glad you are getting so close. It's funny as I was dealing with much of the same in my system switch. Once I put the new Ayre Twenty in, I realized that I didn't have to chose between tube sound or SS sound at all. I'm sure there are other electronics and speakers that will do the same thing. I can promise you that if you think you are missing something, that you are in your head and won't be happy for the long run. You'll always sit and say "what am I missing or where is that high end etc". I agree that a very long audition is the only true way to know, but we know that's not real.
09-22-15: Ctsooner
I can promise you that if you think you are missing something, that you are in your head and won't be happy for the long run. You'll always sit and say "what am I missing or where is that high end etc". I agree that a very long audition is the only true way to know, but we know that's not real.

The Isis is flat out to over 40kHz, so I doubt anything is missing from acousto-electric standpoint. It's more of a setup/room/speaker issue. For me personally, shout, bite, or lack of time/phase alignment leading to a non-cohesive or non-holistic presentation and an insidious and subtle fatigue is far more important issue. Beware speakers and/or equipment that are "impressive" or "spectacular" at first blush. That is the premise behind living with things and finding out their personalities. Tricky hobby....:/
Lack of highs can sometimes be heard as lack of distortion or noise taking an unwanted free ride along with the musical waveform. Perhaps a case of mistaken identity. Maybe your hearing a more pure and non polluted signal coming from this pair of speakers. Tom
Gear, I don't doubt it. That said, he didn't even bring the Vandersteen 7's into his room and they too are flat all the way out (all of Vandersteens are). They have near pistonic drivers and sound the way you mention you like things, but he didn't go for them either. I too feel most things are too bright and get fatigued very easily. You've seen my posts elsewhere. So many companies tip their highs a DB or two and that's because at first blush they sound extended, but the reality is, they are just distorted and not flat. Flat to some is boring. To most reading this thread, it's nirvana.
Ctsooner, the driver compliments and designs are very different on the two speakers. The Isis uses a titanium compression tweeter and not a soft dome like the 7. It also does not uses power bass drivers. So who knows....