Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
The uca 220 is technically the same as the uca 202. The only difference is the colour of the case and some software.
Anyone who wants to do a listening test should realize that the uca 202 has a quite low ouput of 1.2V, compared to many DACs that comply with the cd red book standard of 2.0V (or more). A low output level is not a bad idea, given the high input sensitivity of many amplifiers, but in a direct comparison it will not be as loud. Since the brain interprets louder as better, the differential should be compensated (and very precisely) for the comparison to be meaningful.
I do want to repeat that I would never claim that this modest unit is as good as e.g. a Benchmark. It is, however, remarkably good for the price, much better than any laptop sound card, and excellent to upgrade a secundary system composed of  legacy gear.
i second you willemj, there is no miracle!
i just tried to give an example! a very good dac can cost 30$ and an excellent dac don’t need to cost 60k$
mattnshilp: maybe take a look at the Dangerous Convert 2
i’m use to hear music 8h/day so for me ultra resolving dacs don’t do it.
with the uca202 i don’t listen to my gear anymore!
YouTube p2T5nUsAaq0
Mark and Will. Let’s put this conversation to bed for now. I’m honoring your suggestion and giving it a try. Most would have just shut you down altogether. I don’t want a half a page discussion about a $30- DAC here. I’ll post my findings just to be respectful. But out of that same respect, let’s wait quietly until I post findings. Please and thank you. 
Does anyone know if the new Lampi DAC will be at Capitol Audio Fest??? I’m going all three days. 

I’d  love to meet up with any thread followers for a drink after the show to talk rooms. 

Matt - Focal speakers!! At the LA Audio show I heard at least three exhibits using Focals. All sounded really good. I have added Focal to my list of recommended speakers, along with Vapor and TAD.

BTW, did you ever compare the Aurender N10 to the top of line Antipodes server?

Steve N.

Empirical Audio