Advantages of monoblocks

Hey all,

The merry-go-round, which had stopped for a while, is now showing signs of a slow circular movement. In nautical and financial terms this is usually never a good sign.

Anyhow, I'm running a quite good LSA Statement integrated now, powering de Capo BE monitors. I was wondering if monoblocks and a good pre-amp would be a better way to go?

I last had monoblocks when I ran Rogue M120's about a decade ago befor moving on to an ARC VS-110.

Would monoblocks present a significant advantage over a single amplifier or over the tremendous LSA?

They would have to be used and my budget is $4K max.

Cheers,

simao
128x128simao
If the amplifiers in a stereo chassis share a common ground at the speaker terminals, you will most definitely hear an improvement in dimension by running monoblocks.

This is due to the fact that certain information will be canceled at the speaker due to the common ground seen in a lot of monoblock amps.

The other advantages have already been discussed. If you run long speaker cables there will be a loss in resolution compared to running long interconnects. A lot depends on how you set up your system in this regard! In general though if your speaker cable is much over a meter or so in length you will be leaving some system resolution on the table.

George's comment about ground loop issues is incorrect. Ground loops exist out of how the amp is wired. It is true that some amps are wired in such a way that ground loops are more likely but this has nothing to do with whether the amp is a monoblock or integrated- it has everything to do with whether or not the designer understands how to ground the equipment.
With a 4K budget, I seriously doubt you will find something better than you already have.
I agree, Chayro. I'm tire-kicking a bit here, but monoblocks have always intrigued me in how dedicated they can make each speaker be.
04-28-14: Atmasphere
George's comment about ground loop issues is incorrect.

Saying "incorrect" itself, is a typical incorrect "blanket statement"
As I said "You have a greater chance of (hum) earth loop problems with monoblocks" Emphsis on "greater chance"

Plenty written about it here.
https://www.google.com.au/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=earth+loops+with+monoblock+amps&oq=earth+loops+with+monoblock+amps&gs_l=hp.12...3023.16152.0.17986.31.30.0.1.1.0.216.4806.5j23j2.30.0....0...1c.1.42.hp..16.15.2219.ue2JH8za4fw