AES/ AE-1 modifications

I have been through several preamps in the last year and a half. Always looking for that (this is it) preamp. I decided to pick up this AE-1 until I could figure out what the heck I wanted. I have spent about 2 months with this pre. I have found that I like the design of the AES a lot. Dual volume controls, point to point wiring. And tube sockets screwed into the top plate for stable tube rolling. And I like the tube exposed design.
The unit sounds pretty good. My problem is that I listen to classic rock vinyl. So some of the pre's that I had tried were too analytical. Classic rock and analytical don't go good together. The AES is smooth and warm, just what I was looking for.
But, the bass could use a little tightening up and there could stand to be a little more spaciousness.
So I am asking for some assistance in tweaking this thing. I have done some research on it and I believe it uses paper caps. I could switch them to oil filled caps. How much of a difference will that make? What else should I be looking to do to this pre?
Thanks, Scott
scottht
Scottht, you can buy these from Parts Connexion .http://www.partsconnexion.com. Both the AE-1 and the SLP98 are close to identical in design, so you should have sucess with them like I have.

kek
Kek23
The Hovland caps that I see there are paper andfoil polypropelene, Are these the ones that you are talking about?
Thanks for the info
Scottht, yes these are the film-in-foil coupling caps.here is the sku from Parts Connexion "HOVLAND- sku #55271 2.0uf @ 400v, 0.98" D x 3.00" L $24.65 each". Call and talk to Chris Johnson he can answer all your questions. Great service and shipped out the next day.

kek