Album Sides

Indulge me this silly topic. Sonics aside, there are two things I lament about the decline of the LP as a source of music in my life. One is the loss of the physical album cover, which we could read (without magnification) and study and relate to, if you know what I mean. I rarely know the names of songs anymore on CDs, because I don't "hang" with the cover.

The other loss is the album side. With an LP, there are two "first songs," and two sequences of songs to suck you in. Song sequencing is a whole different challenge with a CD. Do you remember records where you would listen to one side all the time and even ignore the other side or sides? The CD experience is different.

There have been some remarkable album sides. Which do you love most? A few of mine: Abbey Road side 2, Blonde on Blonde side 2, Moondance side 1, Wheels of Fire side 3, American Beauty side 1 (side 2 also).

Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I find that I remember the music I grew up with by album sides (third song on side one, etc.). That said, I struggle trying to decide which is better, Led Zepplin "Physical Grafitti" side 3 or Rush "Moving Pictures" side 1. Most times I don't have an answer and just play both. Problem solved.

I also miss album covers. I am thankful to artists who include lyrics and liner notes with their CDs.

I am also a member of Sean's camp. I can only think of a handful of 70-minute CDs that have 70 minutes of worthwhile music on them. Most I wish were limited to 45 minutes.
Steven Stills and Manassas sides one and four, Who Quadrophenia side 4, Neil Young Zuma side 2, Abbey Road side 2
Abbey Road side 2...has there ever been a more seamless medley of great songs?
Elton John - side 1 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

U2 - side 2 The Joshua Tree

Led Zeppelin - side 1 Led Zeppelin II

Stone Temple Pilots - side 1 Core

Pink Floyd - DSOTM both sides

The Police - side 2 Synchronicity