Any UFC fans out there?

I thought last nights UFC 66 Pay per view was excellent. I'm curious if there are many audio fans out there that are catching on to the UFC? The two interests seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum, but they have me hooked.
128x128pdreher
Match:

You make some good points. Many MMA critics point to the "ground and pound" as being too violent, but in reality those punches are way less dangerous than boxing strikes. On the ground, the fighter on top does not do a full wind up and slug away with full force as that would leave his arms open to a counter, such as an arm bar or other submission hold. UFC has banned small joint manipulation. Elbow strikes are still allowed, but they tend to look worse than they really are.

2007 will be the year to see if people are truly into MMA, as opposed to being just UFC fans.

Regards, Rich
BTW, early on in UFC it was a bit more violent considering that most fighters were amateurs and such things as punching in the groin were allowed. Anyone remember seeing that? Plus, no weight division so a giant could fight a little guy. Today there are lots of rules and weight classes just like in boxing. Plus, Big John McCarthy is an excellent ref and I don't think he would allow any fighter to get needlessly hurt under his watch.

The UFC and MMA will run boxing out of town in time. Boxing is a dying sport.
I enjoyed watching skinny Royce Gracie in the early no-weight-classes, one-night tournaments. I guess I had more appreciation for a martial artist who could subdue his opponent without beating him to a bloody pulp and leaving him possibly damaged for life.

I used to play judo with a man in his 70's who could beat me three out of four times, both of us going full blast but of course within judo rules (I was in my early to mid 30's at the time, and arguably in pretty good shape). My friend could beat most of the guys in their 20's too. How many 70+ year old veteran boxers do you see stepping into the ring and going full blast with guys young enough to be their grandchildren or great-grandchildren?

Duke
Skinny Royce and the Gracies started the MMA thing for sure. The thing is, Royce was great at beating amateurs. Once everyone figured out what was needed, Royce was pushed aside. Royce recently lost to Matt Hughes. 15 years ago, Royce would have still lost to Matt Hughes although a younger Royce would have probably lasted a little longer. Yeah, Royce beat Ken Shamrock but who didn't?

The first few UFC shows had lots of blood. Royce got beat upside the head in one match and couldn't return to finish. Even in the beginning, it wasn't all roses.

How old is Rocky Balboa?
In "Rocky Balboa", the sole reference to Rocky's age is "boxers in their late fifties."

If you follow the time line from "Rocky" though, Rocky was 30 at the time he fought Apollo Creed. The movie was picture of the year in 1976, which would make the Rocky character 59 or 60 years old, depending on when the filming was done.

Regards, Rich