Anyone familiar with the Manger driver?

Sounds like a new and innovative approach to a speaker design. The big question is, HOW DOES IT SOUND? Some interesting stuff on their website MANGER, but I'm curious to know the impressions of people who have actually heard one...I didn't make it to the CES this year.
fatparrot
If he doesn't respond, you might contact member Plato, who had a speaker using this driver in his home a few years ago.
I've heard them in two models of Overkill Audio speakers at CES and T.H.E. Show. Both implementations were quite expensive (One model is $70k, including digital crossover and amps). The Overkill speakers sounded incredibly fast, dynamic and exciting. They also sounded quite musical and not as hard and metallic as many other very fast and loud speakers can be. I really did not have a chance to audition it they way I would if I were considering a purchase.

The obvious downside of the Manger driver is a very limited dispersion of highs. Even moving one's head just a few inches makes a big difference. I suppose good dispersion of highs is asking too much considering that the Manger works down to an extremely low frequency and looks to be bigger than 6" in diameter.
Larryi the Mangers are 8" (they do look small). But yr comments still apply!
Hi Everyone,
We have been working hard on our Overkill Audio loudspeakers and now are preparing to launch the Encore (not the prototype that was illegally sold by Joe Shanaphay or "bearman") which is the ultimate Manger equiped speaker.
Our new USA distributor will have his full reference system installed in March 2006 and then be able to demonstrate what can be done. Even if you are not currently in the market you will always be welcome to bring along your CD,s and have a coffee and enjoy the music!

All the best

Derek Wilson.
As the US distributor of Manger, some additional clarification re: the Manger driver, especially the range and crossover points...

1. The Manger driver actually has a bandwidth of ~ 85-35khz.

2. In the Swing model, the crossover to the Subsonic subwoofer is ~ 90hz.

3. In the 2-way Zerobox 109 stand mount using a custom Scan Speak 8", the crossover is at 140 hz.

More info at http://www.tmhaudio.com/Manger.htm

Jim Ricketts/tmh audio