ARC LS26 versus Cary SLP-05

I am trying to figure out a preamp for a system that I am putting together. While I know I may have to do some selling and swapping to get the right fit, I am trying to minimize the amount of that I have to do. Here is the system: Magnepan 20.1 (on order), Cary 500MB (500w/ch solid state monoblocks), Cary 306 Professional SACD/CD player, and amp tbd. I have a local ARC dealer (from whom I am buying the Maggies) who can arrange an in house tryout for an ARC LS17 as he has that in stock, but not the 26 which seems like is universally praised. I do like the sound of the LS17 as I heard it being fed by a dcs stack ($50,000!). Anyway, I listen to primarily classical (all sorts) with some jazz thrown in. I have extensive experience in live classical music performance (as a participant) and value sound that is musical, lifelike, not harsh in the highs, and with a realistic soundstage (one of the main attractions of the maggies). Price seems about equal for these two units on the used market. I could buy a Cary, audition an LS17, and sell the Cary if I liked the ARC better, but then I would feel guilty not buying from the ARC dealer and, of course, then the LS26 would be more $$. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts.
luvwine
I ended up picking up an ARC Reference 3. Sounds pretty great so far (system set up yesterday) with the only annoyance being that the display on the preamp is noisy (so I set it to be off). Thanks all for the helpful advice. I would love to try the Cary and will if the opportunity arises for a comparison, but for now I am content.
Now do yourself a favor, and replace the stock 6550 tube in the PS with NOS TungSol Black Plate from the 50s - the difference is not subtle !