Are you too old to be an audiophile?

DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to be offensive in anyway, just something I've always been curious about and thought it would make for some interesting responses.

One of the things about audiophiles I've always wondered is how they reconcile their age, and the scientific fact that their hearing isn't what it used to be, with their belief they can can hear all the nuances of high end gear, and even the cables. As we age we lose our ability to hear mainly in the higher frequencies. You know that high pitched sound older CRT televisions and some recessed lighting can make? No? Neither do my parents.
Thoughts?
farjamed
Thank you Bryon and Elizabeth for excellent posts. I am constantly amazed at how many audiophiles will yabber on about the quality of this or that tube, or the difference between this tweeter and that one, but then cannot tell the difference between a violin and a viola, or a trombone and a french horn. One of my all-time favorite stories, though, is about an "audiophile" I encountered in a high-end audio boutique who was ranting and raving to the sales guy (a friend who I knew had a very good ear) about the speed accuracy being "way off" on a certain turntable my friend was demonstrating for him. While I do not have true perfect pitch, it is close enough, and I came to my sales friend's defense, insisting that the table was at the correct speed. After my friend proved to him I was correct by actually measuring it, I then had him put on a different recording of the same piece that had been playing (Bach, but I forget now which piece exactly) with an early music group playing at Baroque pitch. Sure enough, the guy didn't even notice the pitch difference, which was of course considerable, as the pitch used on the recording I picked out is A415, which is fairly standard for Baroque pitch, and is at least 25 Hz below the modern pitch (I say at least because modern pitch has now crept up to A442 in most places here in the US). That dude has never been back to that store ever since. Good times...
I am finding the dicussion here well reasoned and seasoned with experience. However, I will politely disagree with the majority here. I do not feel that hearing loss is negligible in the establishment of systems. Any compromise is a strike against setting up the best rig.

One does not begin a search for the best by downplaying potentially critical factors which may inhibit success. I have built enough rigs to know that its not just the big changes but the minor differences which may spell the difference between a glorious sounding rig and a merely acceptable sounding one.

I also have seen enough to know that there is widespread hearing difficulty in the audiophile community. This is inherent to the age of those engaging in the hobby, as well as a recognized phenomenon as a result of lifestyle choices - loud concerts, loud motorcycles, loud work environments, etc.

The consequences of such hearing loss can be seen in such things as persons adamantly claiming cables make no difference. When I see someone who has tried different cables and still insists they make no difference, I automatically conclude that they have hearing loss. Even worse, when an audiophile states that different amps make no difference; serious hearing deficiency.

I mean no offence to anyone here, and I can certainly appreciate the beneficial influence of experience in pursuit of one's best sound. However, a compromise is a compromise, which ever way you state it. Compromises have adverse effects on the outcome, be it budgetarily, WAF influence or diminished hearing.

Farjamed, I'm with you on this particular thought. There is a real/distinct difference between musical experience and hearing acuity. I shook my head in agreement when you mentioned the CRT. I have one sconce in my listening room which buzzes with an insect-like high pitched sound which is so subtle but drives me nuts! It is the filament of the incandescent bulb at a certain level on my lighting system. I can hear it from about 14 feet away and often I turn the sconces off and use only the can lighting because it bothers me.

I have had wonderful audiophiles in my room who have very strong opinions of what sounds best, but they have had hearing loss due to being in live bands, working in loud factories, etc. They simply can't hear things the same way someone without impairment can. Any way you cut it, their ears are not as capable in establishing rigs. They may work hard to make up for it, but it's a factor.

I have learned to weigh the advice of people in regard to establishing systems based on the evidence that they may have hearing loss. I do not discount their advice, but I do factor in what I know about their hearing, which can help to discern why they make their selections of gear.

It is entirely possible I will have a different opinion when I am in my 70's. You know how it is; if we didn't have driver's license tests everyone's sight would miraculously be perfect enabling them to drive their car. in the same way it seems incredible that everyone's hearing seems to be so good that they can build the best systems. ;)

Sorry, but that begs credibility. I do believe there are concrete steps which can be taken to achieve what I consider to be the essentials of an outstanding system. Hearing loss is a tremendous impediment to success. This assumes there are better and worse sounding systems in an absolute sense. Obviously many will disagree with that premise. I proceed, however, from that premise and seek to build in clearly defined improvements to systems, having experienced that to my ears music is far more enjoyable as a relaxing pasttime when the system is taken to a much higher level of performance.

I realize that my perspective is likely not popular, and it may incur some intense disapproval. Nevertheless, I believe it is correct.

For those with hearing challenges this all might be a moot point; after all, if you can't hear it, so be it. You enjoy what you can hear, and "it's about the music," etc. Perhaps this paritally explains why that phrase appears so often in threads. If there's a lot of hobbyists who have hearing difficulties then it would make sense that they conclude the search for the ultimate rig is a futile effort with compromised hearing.

However, for someone who's trying to gain advice from others, it can be a significant concern.
if there are better systems in an absolute sense, there exists a best system. if there exists a best system , it must satisfy certain criteria.

the criteria established are arbitrary , because they cannot be proven true or false.

rather , by definition they are opinions.

the only thing that is absolute is that which can be mathematically proven.

so doug, your logic is invalid. remember, music is an aesthetic medium, not mathematics or boolean logic. aesthetics are based upon taste.

is there a best painting, or best book or best movie ? i think not, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and quality of sound is purely dependent upon the listener. you cannot argue otherwise such that your arguments represent knowledge and hence certainty.

there is no certainty associated with the statements you have made, only probability.