Auctions - why bid early?

It seems to me that bidding anytime before the very end of a timed auction merely raises the final price. Fun aside, if winning the unit up for bid is the goal, can anyone offer a practical reason to bid early?
rockvirgo
I cancelled an auction when it got no bids. Got messages asking "what happend to the auction?". Sorry but I don't do auctions for your "entertainment". If you want something, lock it in with minimum bid and then you can watch it till the wheels come off. Lately, I get the feeling that the personal computer game has run its course and the nerds have moved into audio.
Dweller...I've seen many many auctions on eBay get no bids, and then go for a much higher price than normal at the end, because a large number of snipers show up then hoping for a deal. Setting a reserve price will protect you from giving it away.

I always bid early when someone sets a "buy it now" with no reserve on an item I like, but think the "buy it now" is more then I want to pay. Bidding on a non-reserved "buy-it-now" auction makes the buy-it-now go away.

Not every auction gets sniped. I have gotten good deals on eBay bidding early, mostly when I knew I would not be around at the end.
On an item I want, but is nearing my max, I oftentimes place a bid in hope that other sellors see there are additional buyers out there. Often times I'm able to win at a lower price on the next listing.
It's stupid to bid early. Your right drives the price up. Hey it's bad for the seller but can be great for the buyer. So wait till the last second..........HAPPY BUYING....