Audio Research SP-8 with CD

Hi everyone,

I just bought an Audio Research SP-8 from a member here on Audiogon. This preamp is amazing! I found that the combination of my PS Audio GCPH with the linestage is the way to go with the LP. It offers more focus and more impact than the SP-8 phono stage. The problem is when I play CD. In that case, I have to much gain. I use a Cambridge 840C as CD player and I can't even pass 9 o'clock on the SP-8 gain setting.

I know that SP-8 was made in the years the CD came by and at that time, Audio Research doesn't made a CD input on the SP-8. So line stage gain is high at 26 dB. I think that they start putting a CD input with the LS1 and this one has
a more realistic gain of 11 dB.

In the case you are using your SP-8 with CD, what do you folk do to have the ability to play around on the gain control?

Thanks,

Sébastien
128x128sebastienl
Newbee, regarding what you said :

"...if you are not anal, then place the resistors between the amp and pre-amp at the amps inputs. It affects all of your sources but that will not be a problem with that pre-amp, and the best part is that it will lower the pre-amps noise level to inaudibility (or should anyway)..."

That's what I'd like to do. It seems a good way to go in my case.

Sébastien
I said that anticipating some folks posting about how placing the attenuators between the amp and preamp would cause a (serious?)degradation in the signal. While possible I suppose depending of the other stuff in the chain it was not my experience and was where I used them.

I'm not familar with the attenuators you are going to use but hell it is just an encased resistor, how much damage can that do? :-) I'm sure you will hear though.

BTW, nice pre-amp! I always wished I had bought one to use as an alternative to mine. Didn't have the bucks then. :-(
"BTW, nice pre-amp! I always wished I had bought one to use as an alternative to mine..."

Yes Newbee, the SP-8 is amazing. Actually, I have very good results combining the linestage with my PS Audio GCPH.
It offers an exceptionnal soundtage, great focus on players or vocalists, excellent tonal accuracy, cymbals and drums like I never heard them before, etc.

Someone who has many ARC preamp already said that the SP-8 is like a SP-10 in a one box unit.

Sébastien