Balanced vs Unbalanced?

I am vaguely aware of the scientific merits of "Balanced wiring". I am only interested in the "Audio" merits.
CJ, a company that makes some of the best equipment on the planet, has no "Balanced" equipment that I know of. This puts some doubt on the audio merits of this circuitry. What is your opinion.
orpheus10
05-30-10: Tvad:
The merits...scientific and audio...the two are interlinked:
I think they are quite separable.

Lower noise floor due to EMI/RFI rejection
Only if there is EMI/RFI to reject.

Lower noise floor due to absence of ground loop hum
Only if there is a ground loop.

Better high end and low end extension and resolution when using long interconnects
Really? Why? In my main system, where there is no significant EMI/RFI or problems with ground loops, the 10meter SE and BAL connections are of equal quality. I just prefer the XLR connectors to the the RCAs.

Kal
All things being equal, truly balanced is better than single ended, but at a cost in both money and effort. Due to budget considerations, I currently only use single ended.
Theoretically, balanced design is quieter, though this does not mean it sounds better. Just as a more efficient loudspeaker does not mean it will sound better than a less efficient loudspeaker. The true balanced design will cost a lot more money, because you will have 4 seperate signal paths to follow opposed to the standard two paths of an unbalanced design. More paths = more parts = more costs.

So some "balanced" designs will not sound as good because they will use less expensive parts to compete finacially with the unbalanced designs. For example, using the same design and parts, and taking dealer mark up into account, a $7.5K truely balanced preamp will sound the same sonically as a $5K unbalanced preamp (in a area with low EMI/RFI issues). The total price wouldn't be double because they can used the same chassis and a similar power supply. OTOH, if both preamps are priced the same, the unbalanced design will have the advantage of being able to use better parts and should sound better, again, unless you live in a higher EMI/RFI area.

Now if you live in an area where their is high EMI, RFI or you have grounding problems, the extra cost for balance may well be worth it. If you live in a place where EMI, RFI and ground issues are null, than your money is probably better spent on an unbalanced design.

I've gone both routes, and neither one is right or wrong. I've found that in my system, fully balanced is slightly quieter, barely noticeable. I would say that I notice more noise levels between tube gear and SS gear than between balanced vs. unbalanced (I still prefer tubes). That said, noise is not really much of an issue in my system, and I'm currently using unbalanced gear. YMMV.

Cheers,
John
Kal, you've touched on all the points. I see no need to debate the issue.
On Ayre equipments, using balanced connections makes a world of difference - a lot of it. Don't bother getting Ayre if you intend to run rcas.