balanced vs unbalanced output

Can anyone explain difference (technical or in sound quality) b/w balanced and unbalanced outputs? Is the image clearer on balanced? Thanks
aarif
Post removed 
Post removed 
i wonder if there is any point if one component has a balanced output and the amp does not have any balanced input .I was advised there is a balanced rca adaptor that can be used to connect .Does this defeat the purpose?
Valverocks wrote: "i wonder if there is any point if one component has a balanced output and the amp does not have any balanced input .I was advised there is a balanced rca adaptor that can be used to connect .Does this defeat the purpose?"
In this setup you will not be able to take advantage of "common mode rejection" that can reduce noise. You will also not have the extra 6 dB gain typically seen in a true balanced design.

However, the output connector is different and your wire construction until you get to the RCA adapter is also different, so it is possible you might like the effect that offers. However, the two "big" technical advantages of a balanced line will not be present if you use a RCA adapter.