Battle of the BAT's, VK-60 vs. VK-220

My dealer has recomended BAT for my next amp. I am trying to figure out which is my best BAT, uhm bet (pun intended) He has helped me narrow it down to these two amps, a VK-60 or VK-200. I only want to purchase from him based on my past expereinces so these are the only two I will consider. Who has put the VK-60 head to head with the VK-200? I have a new pair of Von Schweikert VR4 jr's, Audible Illusions L1, Parasound transport with a Benchmark DAC & listen to rock & roll exclusively. I am replacing my McCormack DNA-1 with either amp. I tend to listen to my music at higher levels, about 90-100 db on average.

A nice tube amp intrigues me & later down the road I can purchase another one for a set of mono's. My worry is that the VK-60 will not have enough power & authority to drive the VR jr's to their potential.

I enjoy the bass slam a powerful solid state amp will give me. I have never heard a really good tube amp or any BAT product so I am a little aprehensive. He will allow me to return either so it won't be such a big risk, I'd only be out shipping. The solid state is apealing b/c of the extra power.

Tubes are romantic but will they cut the mustard with the kind of music I generally listen to driving a pair of 89db speakers? The VK-220 certainly has enough power but will I miss the "magic" of tubes? There are enough devotees to both sides so please let the battle begin!
fishwater
Cdma,

I had an Aleph 3 in my home for a month and was able to compare it at length to my VK200. It's interesting, because in my many ways especially tonally I thought they were quite similar.

The VK200 presents a noticeably wider soundstage than the Aleph 3, but I feel the Aleph 3 does a better job of layering front to back. So with the Aleph I got a better sense of the musician's placement albeit on a narrower soundstage.

The Aleph 3 had a more delicate nature, while the VK200 was far more dynamic. I think much of this had to do with the low 23Kohm input imedance of the Aleph, which my Blue Circle BC21 apparently had a tough time driving.

If it weren't for the impedance issues and to a lesser degree the narrower soundstage, I would have kept the Aleph 3. But six months later, I am still quite happy with the VK200.

Good luck.
The upgrade from the VK-60 to the SE is $2500 unless you have a circuit board prior to revision E. Then the upgrade is $4250.

On the other hand, changing it to a monoblock only costs you $200. THAT is a deal.
I've owned both.
1) Given that you listen to R&R exclusively
2) Given the admirable penchant of the VK-200 to produce a small degree of the musicality of tubes
3) Given the 'medium' sensitivity of your speakers at 89dB
4) Given an assumed desire to retain as much weight and punch in the bass region as possible
5) Given the known costs of maintaining tubes in power amps (less acceptable to me than for tubed pre-amps)
I recommend the VK-200. If you go this way, make sure you run the serial number past BAT (email works fine) and confirm that you have the latest protection circuit configuration. An early to mid-production design had issues of blowing a fuse at very high volume/output level.
Good Luck, John B
D'OH, I pulled the trigger on the VK-60 today. I couldn't resist with the fact that I can return it if I had to. Something tells me I'm going to REALLY like tubes & my wife is not going to like the look of the "new" amp ;)
Based on a long listening session at a dealer, I came away from your dilemma thinking the vk-200 would be a better choice, primarily because you listen (like me) to mostly rock and roll. The dealer suggested that one of the tubed bat preamps would be an excellent match with the vk-200 and give the best of both worlds. It sure sounded great in the showroom......

Hope the VK-60 turns out to be the one-- please post an update once you get some time with the vk-60 in your rig.

D