Best Bookshelf/Monitors Speakers? Suggestions

I am new to hifi, and looking for a pair for pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers, preferrably under 2k, to pair with a Mcintosh ma6450 100wpc. I was originally looking at the B&W CM1, but they are very inefficient(84db), so i was thinking about the CM5, or even the 805S ( both 88db). I feel like I am paying a lot for the name with B&W though, and may be missing out on more lesser known speakers.

I am not necessarily looking for the most accurate speaker, but rather a speaker that is dynamic and creates and wide and deep soundstage. bass extension is also important to me.

I have read about the proac tablette 8 sigs, reference 3a decapo, but im not sure if the de capos are a good choice with my ss amp, and if the tablette 8 sigs will have enough bass.

Obviously I would prefer to audition them, but if i can get a highly recommended pair of used speakers such as the decapo that would normally cost much more new, for the same price as a new pair cm5 (1500) i feel like id be better off. what do you think? Thanks for your help.

Extra infor that may be important:
I live in a high-rise so would like to avoid using a sub.
My Room is approx. 16x17.
Couch (main listening position) is about 8-10 feet from where the speakers will be.
Speakers will be about 7 feet apart.
Probably about 1 foot from the wall behind them.
farjamed
Listen to a pair of Linn Katans. They sound great even before you upgrade them to active. I could not beleive how good a small set of speakers can sound, and I've only liked big big speakers until I heard them. You can also bi wire & bi amp them if you wish.
Someone mentioned Totems, which I forgot to mention before and think is an excellent suggestion if you can find a dealer to audition.

If/when you go hear the Ushers and are concerned about synergy with your amp, why not take your amp along and have the dealer demo them together? Or even better arrange for the dealer to loan them to you for a weekend (always the best option, and relatively easy to do with monitors)? Any decent dealer should do that, and then you'd see whether your amp will produce the sound your looking for in your own room/system. I wouldn't dismiss the Ushers just because your amp puts out 100W -- you may find they work just fine together, and the Ushers are good enough to justify an amp upgrade in the future. I believe the Be-718s are available in different finishes if you didn't like the cherry. Don't mean to harp on the Ushers, but given your stated preferences I think it would be a shame if you didn't at least give them a listen.

If you have a big screen TV in the middle of your soundstage you should drape a blanket or comforter over it when you're listening -- same rationale as curtains over the windows.

Best of luck, and have fun.
I'd recommend you determine what 'sound' you like. For example,
1) if you like accurate with deepish bass, consider the Dynaudio:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1234905743&/Dynaudio-Contour-S1.4
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1235240535&/Dynaudio-Focus-140-Black-Ash
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1236037025&/Dynaudio-Contour-1.3-mk-II---B

2) If you like a little 'faster, wide open' sound, go with the Dicapos,

3) possibly smoother, strong bass, try the Ushers or the Fritzspeakers ScanSpeak 7 version. (May be tought to demo though)

4) I would also recommend a pair of Merlin TSMs which you can get around here for <1,500.

The Merlins would probably be my choice because of a couple of things including easier placement (but I prefer a paper based driver in the midrange, until you move up to well executed exotic materials, but we're startin' to talk about much more $.

Final recommendation would be these:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1235748276&/Marten-Design-Monk-Price-Reduc, ... but the guy is in Ireland so I'm not so sure about that transaction.

Good stuff out there in the sub $1,500 market - decide if you definitely *DON'T* like a particular sound or material (ie the guy above commenting on the Usher, others may say Dynaudios aren't the best at lower level (hi-rise constrained) levels, others don't like metal mid-woofers, etc.

Good luck.
I'd be looking a used pair of Wilson Cub's near that range, used. You'll not find more refined, efficient, dynamic, and detailed, with superb soundstage and imaging for your needs, I presume! Anyway, anything else and you're looking at lesser in lots of performance area's. They have dual woofers, world class tweeter, built second to none, gorgeous finish work, and quality throughout. They also mate with Mac very well. It's a thought.
Basically, if I needed a pair of high end monitors, with lots of dynamics, snap, and super refinement and also acousticly (is that a word?) friendly woofer-tweeter-woofer design - and you found em near $2k used - I'd take em, yes!
Using the dual woofers helps greatly with many benefits acoustically. They do however sound best sitting down in front of them, rather than standing, depending.
Otherwise, some Dynaudio similar, Used Revel Gems for a bit more, JM Labs Mini Utopias for even a bit more.
I do like the dual woofers for your needs. Otherwise, larger woofer, simpler crossover, higher sensitivity, etc.
I'm sure I'll think of more after this post, likely.
These are as rare as hen's teeth these days on the 'Gon, but find a good used pair of Hales Revelation One's and place them on a pair of Sanus 22" Ultimate Foundations and you are there. They will serve your music very well, and with your Mac driving them, no sub required, I can assure you. -jz