Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl
I agree with Psjulian. Waiting at this point only reduces your enjoyment. The "format wars" will continue for a couple of years at least, and I suspect with no clear winner. The only loser (in terms of musical enjoyment) will be you if you decide to wait for the smoke to clear. Get the Electrocompaniet EMC-1 and enjoy the music. I'm sure that you can find a good condition used one for about half your stated budget. The Cary is another excellent unit though I preferred the EMC-1. If you happen to stumble across the Gryphon cdp at a good price, it too is outstanding. In any case, I've yet to hear a DVD/SACD player sound as good as any of the CD-only players I've mentioned when it comes to CD playback. Just one man's opinion. Good luck.
I love my new NAIM Audio CD5. Simple and to the point with a price tag of only $2,250. Read the reviews at audioview.com or in the December 2000 issue of What Hi-Fi? or Hi-Fi News. Beautiful sound.
Can anyone send opinions, comments or recommandations(for
OR against ) CD player CARY 303 for players around
USD 3000?
I bought the cary 303 after trying the rega planet and rotel 991. The rega was a big dissapointment -- mainly in myself for getting caught up in the hype. The rotel was a pretty nice player esp. at its new list price of $1000 -- non fatiguing . The cary was a little more extended than the rotel at both ends -- and very smooth. If it has a fault it may not be as dynamic as some big dollar players but it is good enough for me. I listen to all types of music and it does a good job with any source.