Best Cheap Amps for Magneplanar Speakers

I want to drive some medium sized to large Maggies (1.7 or 3.7) with the cheapest possible amps that will still let them sound great.

I prefer monoblocks and by 'cheap' I mean a kilobuck or so, tho less would be fine too.  I do NOT want to spend 4 thou...
randy-11
@russbutton mentioned Hafler as a cheap amp option. I used a Hafler DH220 with Maggie 1.6s in a small room and loved the sound. These are MOSFET amps and do have that smooth sound MOSFET's are known for. I recapped the amp as the original caps were past their prime.

You could purchase two DH500s, recap them and have a wonderful sounding pair of amps. And the good thing about these amps is, if they don't tickle your ear, you can resell them.
Currently using Nord One UP Hypex NCore NC500 with 3.7i. with Sparko op amp option.  Plenty of power, room size 24x14 x10
I am currently using a full set of Audio Alchemy including their mono blocks driving my Mag 1.7s. I switched to this setup after one of my Audio Research Classic 120s sparked out. I'm very happy with the resulting improved sound stage, clarity, etc. In full disclosure I am also using a REL sub and Audio Quest cabling as well as a Silver Circle A/C filter.
Check the Absolute Sound/Robert Harley article.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audio-alchemy-ddp-1-preamplifierdacheadphone-amplifier-dpa-...

I biamp mine Maggies with Bryston 3Bs ...I bought them used and they were not particularly expensive.