Best Male Singers of the 20th Century

There is an interesting current discussion about the best female vocalists on CD. I have my own ideas about the best male singers (any category) of the 20th Century, but would like to hear other opinions.
sdcampbell
Oh, Tubegroover, I agree. Sinatra as a personality. One issue is the material. Some people do still sing and listen to Danny Boy and I Hear You Calling Me. I can't imagine anyone listening to anything Sinatra did 100 years from now. Maybe someone else would be a better example.
Paul I believe you just made the point. 100 years will bring a lot of changes in styles, tastes and music. I think only the good music will last. The artists will be viewed by most for the period they came from. I really can't think of one that will have broad lasting appeal. The critics will have their favorites but the masses will have long forgotten or when they see a clip will view it as nostalgia. Elvis may be canonized a Saint by popular demand, not for his art but the "miracles" he performed in his life. BTW I still listen to McCormick only because my father used to sing some of those songs to us as kids. He listened to his records when HE was a kid and was greatly influenced by him.
Johnny Hartman, Billy Eckstine, Roy Orbison....all for
pure voice quality.......singers with poorer voices, but
were able to convey emmotion...Chet Baker, Frank Sinatra,
Del Shannon...yes...he even had influence on The Beatles,
ELO...and many others...
Tom Waits - i could go on and on why i think he's the one but i'm too tired to keep typing.
Kubla, Dekay, remember "Nighthawks @ the diner, Emma's 49er, a RdV of strangers..."?
T. Waits when I was still young(er)...
Cheers!