best pre-amp new or used for under $500?

Hello there, just bought a 2-channel power amp and need pre-amp advice. My budget is low, as the title above states, and the power amp is a Rotel RB-1080. Speakers will be either Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1, Dynaudio Excite X16 or Totem Rainmakers. I have not auditioned these speakers yet, they are on my list because of reputation, look and price. Source is a Yamaha CD changer, will upgrade that after the speakers arrive. Room will be small, 12x12x8. Would prefer to have a couple sets of pre-outs so I can hook up a sub if necessary. A remote is an absolute must, my listening sessions are 90-120 minutes long. Thanks in advance and happy listening.
realremo
Anthem TLP 1. A full-featured, overlooked and great sounding pre-amp (and tuner) that sells new for 900 or a grand. Should be able to find used in your range.
GoBlue - Great suggestion and DEFINITELY one that I have been tracking. I have seen them for a great price IN DENVER and my heart was as broke as my bank account. LOVE the TLP 1 because it's Anthem AND it features bass management, which is something I am interested in because I am still oscillating between montitors vs. full range speakers.
Realremo: I recently bought the Anthem gear (TLP 1 and MCA 20 amp) for my dad to replace an older Mac receiver he was using with newer B and W 703 speakers. The pair was a huge improvement, and comes quite close to true high end without breaking the bank. The TLP's contour feature is useful to boost audible bass at lower sound levels.
About where to put money, I would say the speaker and preamp. I tried upgrade my amp, very little difference. I also tried an external DAC, although not a very high end version, also no noticeable difference. But after I upgrade the preamp, I can hear the difference right the way. And of course, the speaker should be the first component to buy in my opinion.
Gte357s - what head unit were you using before you tried an external DAC? And...which DAC, preamp and speakers are you talking about? Agree regarding the amp, I doubt I would be able to hear an audible improvement over my Rotel RB-1080 unless I spent 3x or 4x the money ($1500-$2000). Right now I have to get the pre-amp above the Rotel's level.
Although my Denon 3310 is doing pretty well in my little office. I took down the home theater system and moved it into my office, renovating the living room.
There is a small but insistent contingent of A'gonr's that insist on spending the big $$$ on the head unit first...But how much fun is that?!?