Best preamp under 5k for Krell amp

I have acquired a brand new Krell FPB 300c amp and with what little money I have left I need a preamp. I will be powering Martin Logan SL3 speakers. All advice appreciated.
oscar67
i recommend a tube preamp, especially w/solid-state amp. if ya listen to cd, it will also make it much less fatigueing. personally, i really like my melos music director preamp (latest version of the ma-333). this can be had for way less than $5k, used.

re: speakers, i'd suggest trying newform research r645's or nhb645's check out the reviews on audioreview, & check out the www. i'm saving for these - i think they will be a steal at the price, even if purchased new. if not, there's a 30-day in-home trial, yure only out return-shipping if they're not for you...

A tube preamp is your best bet with most Krell amps. My two suggestions are the Audible Illusions 3a and the Hovland preamp. The AI can be had for around 2.2K, the Hovland, without phone, at about 4.6k.
I have a Krell FPB200 and am running it with a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 tube preamp, and it sounds great. The combination of solid state and tube is a good way to go. I know of a lot of other guys also running this combinatoion with good success. I have Dunlavy SCIV's, but I did listen to your set up ant a local dealer, and it sounded pretty good. Also, I am thinking of making the home theater jump (Meridian), so I might be selling my SF preamp.
audio8, don't sell the pre yust cuz yer gonna get the h-t rig - run it thru the processor bypass of yer pre. yer 2-channel audio will sound better that way...
Thanks to everyone for your informative posts. You have given my much to look into.