Best Rock Drummers

I've seen most of them and by far the two that stand out are Neil Peart of Rush and Ceasar Z. of Golden Earring. For non-rock I would say it's a no brainer with Buddy Rich.
zar
Jim Gordon before he went off the deep end
Love his drum solo on 'Jump Into the Fire'
There was a reason he played on everything in the early seventies.

Regards,
I second Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, the guy's drumming is insane... I've seen them live several times and his drum kit is always huge.
Somehow I missed this thread. There have been many great drummers in the rock genre. Some are superb technically, and less interesting artistically, like Carl Palmer. Others are less technically adept, but are just born with what it takes to be great. Clive Bunker, Jethro Tull's first drummer comes to mind.
For me, the best combination of incredible technical mastery combined with superb artistic creativity was embodied in the late great Mitch Mitchell. As an example, I would cite his performance on "Straight Ahead", originally released on "Cry of Love". All these years later, and I am still amazed.
Really, you can't rip off a drum solo "note for note", because drums don't really have "notes" - lolololo roflao!!