Best speakers for 3 cord rock and roll

I'm looking to set up a 2 channel system to primarily listen old fashioned R&R (Beatles, Stones, Ramones) and some classic country (Cash, Nelson,Williams). What's better for this type of music - cones or planars? My budget is $2k for a used pair.
scott_wojo
JM Lab / Focal are on my short-list. These speakers have a really sweet sound, IMO.
Buy yourself an old juke box, load it up with a bunch of 45s. Nah, it's not the least bit "audiophile", hell it ain't even stereo, but there's something about listing to old Rock & Roll, and Honky-Tonk on a juke box that no stereo system can capture. Remember, when this music was recorded it was mixed to be played on juke boxes and car AM radios. ;-)
i took a chance with some jbl L-series speakers (mine are L-830 6inch 3 ways). they are very dynamic speakers, and for not alot of money you can buy a floorstander. it will image, it will produce a very convincing wall of sound. it will lack some refinement in producing details in the mids and highs, but mostly on very critial recordings of classical, acoustic folk, and jazz. but at the price they are a bargain. even if you decide to get into string quartets one day, they'll still sound "pleasant". audiophile speakers sweat resolution and cut the low bass which causes too much distortion. they emphasize nuances in the midrange and lower treble, with a smooth rolloff further up. so what you get on rock alblums is flaws in the mixdown, no deep bass, and a thin and sometimes harsh treble where guitars and vocals weren't recorded for their subtlety.
I got a speaker for you!! You'll need a grand more..but it is worth it!!!

A friend and I heard these speakers over the weekend. They are called Emerald Physics C2s. We were both speechless! This is as close to live music as I've ever heard out of a pair of speakers. You do not need esoteric gear to make them sing either. Me and my buddy both have these speakers on the must get list!! I wouldn't even look at another speaker until you hear these!

The C2s can play at stratospheric levels without compression. All the while..using only a few watts to do it. I'm sure they'll blow away many at the CES show coming up..I have no doubts at all. This pair was run with a $400 pro amp for the Bass drivers and Bel Canto 300s for the tweeter/midrange wave guide.

Just imagine what a pair of Egglestonworks Andra IIs combined with the best electrostat you've heard. That's what these sound like!

For 3 grand..there's likely to be a long waiting list in order to get a pair! This speaker with auxiliary equipment was around $7000..it sounded like a $50,000 system I kid you not! I'm not affiliated with this company at all..just very excited about getting a pair myself!