Beware of the cable claiming long burn in period.

Almost all the audio equipment including speaker need burn in time.

But I had bad experience with one digital cable recently.

Some people blew the horn on it and claimed burn in time more than 100 hours.

Out of box it had lot of details but etched.

After 8 weeks (around 200 hours) it got little bit better but its overall performance is not better than other digital cable that I have had.

Now it is too late to return it.

Beware of any cable claiming more than 50 hours of burn in time.

The chance is high that you will waste your time and money.
128x128shkong78
My experiences with dozens of cables indicate that they tend to sound good within 24 hours of use.  This is also relative to the manufacture of the cables.  I didn't notice any difference in Monster cables from the 1980s.  GroverHuffman cables can sound good within 6 to 8 hours of use but really settle in after about a days use.  

Same problem with fuses. The SR Black fuse took 72 hours to burn in and sound acceptable in several of my systems.  The SR Blue fuse sounded excellent immediately and just got better over time.  The SR black duplex sounded good immediately and similarly just got better over time.  

I wouldn't want to purchase a cable that required 500 hours of use just as I hate it that so many speakers require 100s of hours to break in (especially those with berrillium tweeters).

fleschler
758 posts02-24-2019 4:12amMy experiences with dozens of cables indicate that they tend to sound good within 24 hours of use.

>>>>>Define good. No one is saying they sound horrible right away. Besides, wouldn’t it depend on the system and the user. Your numbers seem way too low. They appear to be outliers. No offense. If those numbers were correct Bob Crump wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of breaking in all his TG Audio cables and power cords for a month prior to shipping. And there would be no reason for the Cable Cooker or the Burn In Track on the XLO Test CD, the latter of which requires a minimum of two weeks.  

This is also relative to the manufacture of the cables. I didn’t notice any difference in Monster cables from the 1980s. GroverHuffman cables can sound good within 6 to 8 hours of use but really settle in after about a days use.

>>>>>>>Define good. No one is saying they sound horrible right away. Besides, wouldn’t it depend on the system and the user?

Same problem with fuses. The SR Black fuse took 72 hours to burn in and sound acceptable in several of my systems.

>>>>>>>>Define acceptable. That’s a pretty broad term.

The SR Blue fuse sounded excellent immediately and just got better over time. The SR black duplex sounded good immediately and similarly just got better over time.

>>>>>>Everyone agrees about that.

I wouldn’t want to purchase a cable that required 500 hours of use just as I hate it that so many speakers require 100s of hours to break in (especially those with berrillium tweeters).

>>>>>No one is saying cables require 500 hours to break in. As for speakers, the drivers alone take many months to break in. You can’t fool Mother Nature. There’s no short cut to Nirvana.

"I wouldn't want to purchase a cable that required 500 hours of use just as I hate it that so many speakers require 100s of hours to break in"

HEA probably shouldn't have stuck it's nose into physics to begin with. It's a weird little hobby full of folks who want "short term" prove it's sometimes blinding itself from the ongoing facts of nature. Putting break in times on anything audio is fools gold to begin with. "Audio" doesn't break in in 30 days, it matures in age just like everything else does in a universe of motion. HEA treats audio like a "Fixed" absolute, when in reality it's a huge variable.

HEA has created it's own little bubble and battles to stay inside of it, as the world matures around us, moving forward. It's like a time capsule for almost engineers. You know guys, an EE is not the same as a Physics Engineer, and an EE or PE that doesn't understood aging is not all that bright in a discussion about motion.

I guess the oddest part about visiting here sometimes is seeing so many who view Earth as sitting still with everything revolving around it, not being able to see that we are in motion among everything else in motion. 

As for me, I wouldn't purchase a cable unless I understood cables.

mg

Blessed am I that I can't hear differences between cables.....Fight on people.
Post removed