Blue Note Jazz Recordings

Category: Music

Check out the RVG Collector Series from Blue Note. The RVG stands for the legendary recording engineer from Blue Note whos name is Rudy Van Gelder.

I have just picked up Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell. Just a fabulous remaster of a great classic. The RVG Collection from Blue Note is worthy of every Jazz Library out there.

What RVG has been able to do with these old tapes and put them to 24 bit CDs is remarkable. There are now several offerings under the RVG logo and if the rest are anything like Midnight Blue, they must be special indeed. I know I will be looking for additional RVG titles for my Jazz Library.

Heres the link to Blue Note.

http://www.bluenote.com/

When it comes to jazz, it just doesn't get much better than Blue Note.
ferrari
I have a question to the guys who have the vinyl version of these disks: how great a gap is there between the RVG remixes and vinyl with with a top quality player?

I really don't mean for this to devolve into a vinyl v. cd thread, but I'm curious as to the difference. I have loved these remixes and own over 50% of the library. I've sounded them against the Japanese TOCJ versions and found them crisper with no loss of liquidity.

As Ferrari says: these are great disks. Just want to know if they may be considered the high fidelity benchmark, or if vinyl still holds that title.

Best,
I have the titles being discussed as original or reissue LP, even a few of the first 10" Blue Note LP's. In fact, I have most of the Blue Note artists and what I could not find as first press, I purchased on Mosaic LP box sets.

I agree completely with your assessment of the music, it just does not get much better.

I do not have the CD's, so I cannot compare the sound. I will say Blue Note's musicians are so spectacular, and so important to the history of American Jazz, if it were not available on LP, I would buy the CD reissues.

If you venture into turntable land, I can make enough recommendations of great Jazz to keep you broke for years :^).
Whilst browsing through a few random threads this weekend, I learned of a new source that is really going to help save me some money. Interestingly, they just so happen to have a number of the RVG Collector series available. How could you go wrong for $5.99 a pop with free shipping?

Try this
Do have a copy of Blue Train by John Coltrane on vinyl it is a DMM edition on Teldec Vinyl.It is a Blue Note LP. Also have the RVG edition on CD. Have a new 24 bit CD Player coming, so I will be able to do a heads up comparison between the two formats. Seeing as the RVG edition are 24 bit resolution and the CD Player is 24 Bit as well, will be able to listen to Blue Train CD in full 24 bit format. Should be an interesting test between a Direct Metal Master LP vs the RVG 24 Bit resolution CD.

Will post again as soon as I have a comparison.