Can I use this amp in my house?

I've been looking at a power amplifier that has a 20 amp power cable. The tech specs say its maximum power consumption is 2400 watts. Would I need to have special wiring in the house to run this amp? If so, what would I need?

Thanks very much.

-- Howard

hodu
@jea48 Considering Krell FBP300, FBP200, KSA-250, MDA300s or something similar. Cheers,
Spencer
sbank,

From the manual,

Full Power Balanced Power Amplifiers600, 300, 200 Stereo650M, 350M, 250M Monaural

AC Power Considerations
For best performance, a dedicated AC power line rated at a minimum of fifteen amps is recommended for each amplifier. For maximum power output, the Full Power Balanced 300 and 600 amplifiers Should be operated from a dedicated twenty amp AC power line. The Full Power Balanced amplifiers should only be operated with the power cord supplied. Please consult KRELL.or your dealer before using any devices designed to alter or stabilize the AC power for the Full Power Balanced amplifier

See page 12
Trouble shooting.

Amplifier switches to standby at high volume.

Possible cause.

Insufficient AC current from wall outlet.

Course of action.

Make sure the AC line is at least 15 amps; a dedicated 20 amp line is preferable for the full power balanced 300 and 600.

http://krellonline.com/assets/support/FPB_ORIGINAL_SERIES_MANUAL_V982.pdf

So The way I understand it as long as you do not push the amp hard a dedicated 15 amp circuit is fine.

Note dedicated 15 amp circuit. If a 15 amp convenience outlet branch circuit were used the amp may not preform to specs. It might/would depend on what other loads were sharing the branch at the time you were listening to the amp.

One other caution. If it is plugged into a 15 amp convenience outlet branch circuit the circuit breaker at the electrical panel may nuisance trip occasionally when the amp is first turned on from a cold start up. The standard breaker may not be able to pass the high in-rush current draw from the amp’s power transformer and charging the electrolytic caps in the power supply.

If you bought the amp and it trips the breaker, the more times the breaker trips, the more often it will trip, as it gets weaker. That’s the good news. The bad news is possibly at some point the breaker may malfunction and will no longer trip. At that point it is nothing more than an on off switch. The #14awg branch circuit wiring will no longer be protected.

There is an old thread on Agon, somewhere, I was involved in. Guys posted the breaker in the electrical panel was nuisance tripping. They were told to just change it out to a 30 amp breaker. Big mistake!
Jim

You are looking at specs for the foreign model that uses a 240v line. This amp uses way less wattage than a microwave. I run this amp on the same circuit thru my Panamax as my tv, DVD player, wifi, DIRECTV, 851n, 851e, and this amp in a large open room with 12ft plus ceilings. The Panamax has never indicated that I had any voltage draw issues