cartridge on budget table?

at what point do experienced vinyl guys draw the line when it comes to spending on cartridge vs looking into a better table? I have a old Onkyo 1027p and the Audio technice budget cart isnt seeming to cut i, very etched high frequency....can anyone guide me in a good direction for performance on the cheap, sorry to add but a disability limits my funds a great deal, I also think a more laid back top end sound would suit my very detailed speakers well, also for info I am using a PS Audio 4.5 Pre for phono with Innersound Eros speakers fed by a tube pre, thanks all, I have caught a glimpse of the vinyl magic but hope to try diffrent semi-budget needles on my table till hopefully one day a more precise table can be had,,,again thank you for your time and help, Chad
chadnliz
I second the Sumiko Oyster as a good choice. Pretty refined and forgiving IMO. You do need to find out if it's a good match for your arm. I suspect it is.
I find Shure V15s of various vintages turn up at flea markets on old 'tables for 5-20 bucks. I found a Type III that didn't even need a new stylus that way. Sold off the 'table for $20. Can you beat that on a budget?
Hey Judy,
No I wasnt mad, it is hard to convey context and emotions in type, I was agreeing with you.
A friend from AGON came out and my Cartridge was 5mm off so that and a Oricole pad on the platter has helped bunches, I see some light at the end of the tunnel!
Wow! 5mm is a mile! Do you mean in VTA? I'm glad you're getting some improvements!
It is my first table in a long long time, the fellow AGON member who put it on was off a bit, the 5mm was at the point where the cartridge mounts to the tone arm