Cary Preamps

I don't read much about these pre's here on Agon, but they seem appealing with respect to price, features, and the inclusion of a remote. I would like to know more. Can people share their impressions and experiences? Which ones are the best (and why)? Are there others that are must not that hot? Which are the best bang-for-the-buck?

(Note: I am helping a cousin get a tube preamp in the $800-$1000 range, and am considering Cary, VTL, perhaps a few others). Thanks.
peter_s
I've had my SLP98L for about 2 months now and love it, one of the best purchases I've made in this hobby. I also cannot agree with the ringing microphonics stuff, and mine is only about 4 feet from my speakers....FWIW
I purchased the TFT Exotica from handmade electronics. The improvement was jaw dropping. I have experimented with caps for a long time. This by far was the best. I wanted to buy more but they are out of stock in the 0.22/600v version.
I might have an AES DJH Super Preamp for sale in the next couple of days. With Pope NOS tubes, it is outstanding. With remote. Probably $1300.
I own the SLP-98P. Before that, I had a Cary SLI-80 integrated amp. Both have the characteristic Cary house sound, warm and sweet with musicality up the wazoo. I had a Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp before I got into Cary gear. The MF is much more forward with the soundstaging, which results in a harsh, fatiguing sound for my ears, JMO.

The SLP-98 is considered the best current production Cary preamp, but Cary just came out with the SLP-05, which adds two more 6SN7 output tubes and a MM/MC phono stage with switchable impedance settings, among other things. I haven't heard anything about the SLP-05 yet, but it seems very promising.

The SLP-88 can be had for your price range, but it only has 2 12AU7 tubes. I imagine the sound would not be quite the same as the SLP-98 or the SLI-80, which have different tube sets.

A used 50A, as mentioned above, or the 50B, would probably be good options at your price range, but this is only based on what I have read. I would also look into AES.

You don't mention the amp that would be paired with the preamp. When I auditioned the SLP-98P, it was first hooked up to a BAT VK-55 amp. The imaging was shifted way to the left, for some reason. The sound was also cold and sterile, to my ears anyways. Then I had it hooked up to the Cary V12R, and the imaging was perfect and the sound was magical.

If you are also getting an amp, consider the SLI-80 integrated amp (if your speakers match it). You can get a used one for about $1800. You can try it out to get a good idea of the Cary sound. If you don't like it, you can sell it at or near the price that you purchased it for. I went this route, and ended up upgrading to the SLP-98P and V12R.

One last note - Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio is an excellent source of advice for all things tube. Try him, or ask your local dealer, if you have one, for advice.
I use a Cary CAD-5500 that was upgraded by Cary. These include:
a. paper/oil caps in the signal path
b. Multicap polypros everywhere else
c. Rubycon high-speed photo caps in the power supply (which is separate from the preamp)
d. high speed, soft recovery hexfred diodes in the power supply
e. "standby" switch

This unit is from the early 90's and it was designed not as a preamp but to take the digital edge off early CD player output.

As a preamp it is warm and liquid-something I prefer- with a very clean & slightly forward character. It is not "neutral" but makes me smile when I hear it.

I think for the most part Cary makes fine products but they do have a "house sound".