CJ sound

I am interested in a CJ 17 pre amp...does anyone know if this pre amp for moving the sound stage forward in front on the speakers? Or is it more laid back?
tz7
I've got a CJ16LS2 and it does not sound "dark". I find it will very much show the character of any components you mix with it. I think Zear's analyis is right on.
I owned the 17LS and I thought it was a very good preamp. The volume control is wonderful and the minimal gain stages provide a transparent sound. You can change its coloration to match your bias/preference by using different types of tubes. I don't think it expands the sound stage beyound what is on the recording.

My main complaints were that it took at least an hour to warm up and sound good. The second was that it really took the leading edge off transients. This sounded to me like compressed dynamics.

Give it a listen if possible and see if it works in your specific system.

Rick
Guys, let me clarify something. The 17ls was my first, true, high end preamp. I loved it and I still think it is a good preamp. I think the Art II was even better. In fact when I a/b'ed it with the Act 2 it the Art blew it away.

However, CJ preamps have a sound to them which in my opinion, and that of others in the business, is a little dark, that is a little lacking in that high end sparkle. If you ever get the opportunity to hear or own the Messenger preamp you will know what I mean.

Having said all of that would I recommend the 17ls? You bet. It's a great preamp for it's price.
Nrostov

Your comments suprise me! You are the first one that I ever read making a comment that cj pre-amps are on the dark side and lack highend sparkle. I have read many comments to the contrary............but you hear what you hear. I have owned three of them and they have all been very detailed and dynamic........interesting. I have heard and read comments that the new cj products are tending to move away, and some would to far away, from their house sound. Anyway FWIW
Forgive me for not exactly answering the question, but, with so many opinions expressed here, I thought I might chime in. The best description I've heard re: c-j comes from fellow Audiogoner; Zaikesman, he described c-j as being "sunny". I have to agree. To me c-j is warm, yet not dark. C-J's tend to roll off the extremes, soften the transients and yet maintain midrange detail. The ss c-j's can be a little lean in the bass, the tube c-j's a bit over ripe in the bass. The c-j ss pre's can add just a tiny hint of sharpness in the lower treble. C-J's have the unusual talent of maintaining sparkle while avoiding brightness. I also find that c-j amps tend to add a certain burr to the sound, not enough to loose detail, but enough to deviate from neutrality. On the other hand, they maintain harmonic integrity. No gear is perfect, and c-j's faults tend to complement the music, certainly better than the all too common alternatives. FWIW,IMHO,YMMV,cliche',cliche',etc..