Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
So if its not obvious by now the question has been answered repeatedly in some cases.

Some like it already and some not so much.

I’m on the like it side with Kijanki.

So its pretty much on par with everything else audio these days. Some like it and some not so much.

its nice to have choices.

The difference is Class D will only continue to get even better.

Someday soon everyone may agree.

Or not.....

Cheers!
So its pretty much on par with everything else audio these days. Some like it and some not so much.

its nice to have choices.

The difference is Class D will only continue to get even better.

Someday soon everyone may agree.
Mapman - I would say Class D is similar to tubes as far as opinion goes. People either like the sound or they don't. I am not saying that tubes sound like Class D (far from it), just that they are both controversial. Very rarely will you hear someone say something bad about Class A solid state relating to sound quality/accuracy.  
This statement is false. 
It is not false at all! 

"It used to be a sign of superior good taste to diss class D. Today it's become a surefire tell of sad ignorance."

Anyone who degrades class D as a whole is clearly ignorant about the technology or has comercial interests against it. As with any other topology, making a generalization about sound performance is an error.
Just because you heard a class D amp sound better than a tube amp in a particular situation does not mean that all class D amps sound better than all tube amps, or even that the particular class D amp sounds better than all tube amps. It just means that in that situation you heard something better that you liked between the two involved. 

Who said that? That statement is completely erroneous, in fact is the complete oposite of what I clearly stated above:

I said: "I have experience with many amplifying topologies (meaning class A, A/B, D, H), and I have found good and bad examples in each".

Who makes the latest generation of Class-D? The best class-d I heard, Hypex has been on the market for a long time. I wonder how good the latest generation class-D is compared to Hypex.

Hypex latest generation is Ncore which has several years in the market. Anaview and Pascal also have very good designs, that when correctly implemented provide similar or in some cases even better performance than Ncore.

And as I said, not everything is the class D module in the design. The input buffer, for example, is a critical part that can completely alter the character of the amplifier. There's been greater progress in this matter, than in the output modules themselves.

Just because you heard a class D amp sound better than a tube amp in a particular situation does not mean that all class D amps sound better than all tube amps, or even that the particular class D amp sounds better than all tube amps. It just means that in that situation you heard something better that you liked between the two involved.

Who said that? That statement is completely erroneous
Who said? you know exactly who, since you copied.   This statement, made by Atmasphere,  is absolutely true stating that you can like any class of an amp more than another.  Nothing erroneous about that.

I'm very curious about Class "D" amps. No I've never heard one. How does Class "D" compare to SS? I'm a tube guy who has not heard the very best SS amps, but I did hear an ARC SS that I didn't like.

If a person prefers SS to tubes in general, his opinion is less valid to me, than someone who prefers Class "D" over tubes or claims that he can't tell the difference.

I've been told that for watts of power, class "D" is cheaper; that's nice, but I don't have a serious power problem, just curious.

My tubes have a black background; I know this is not supposed to be so, but current tube equipment has achieved that. Maybe not as Black as Class "D", and yes, there are levels of Blackness.

While the quickest way to find the answer to these questions is to buy one; that is not an option. I hope I've arranged my questions in an order that won't offend anyone, but will get an answer to the best of their ability in regard to Class "D"