Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1

Dave, I think it done snuck up on you too.

The cable I use to make my own, was once sold by Belden in 100 ft rolls to radio and TV stations; that lets you know it's some good stuff; they both demand the highest quality at the cheapest price. Belden no longer sells that cable to the masses. I asked for some replacement cable, and if it was food, the dogs wouldn't eat it.

Fortunately, I'm working on my last major improvement, and thanks to your excellent ideas, I know it's going to be a success.

Hi o,

I know the early Belden cable, very good for XLR runs due to the inherent noise-cancellation characteristics of differentially balanced circuitry (not applicable for SE circuitry).  Once you get your room acoustics in order and you can really hear what your equipment/speakers are capable of doing, I predict a new interest in your quest: cabling and power.

Best to you o,
Dave 
I power my Maggie's with a D-Sonic Class D amp and this cold and dry sound I read about here is foreign to me. I suggest posters put aside their assumptions and give one a trial, you may be quite surprised
^^ Or not. You can't put them all in one basket. That's why this thread is as long as it is.

Class D amps vary in sound due to the fact that some have higher scan frequencies than others, some have more 'dead time' than others, some have more distortion in the input circuit than others, some have cheesy power supplies and some don't, some have feedback and others don't!

atmosphere,

You could use your assessment of Class D with just about any class of amplifier. I'm not questioning the fact that their are better sounding amps out there. The "fact" is the new breed of class D amps can offer very good sound for the buck, and gives a lot of music lovers a chance for that good sound. Many amp manufactures use the Hypex modules with excellent results while making their amps affordable. Just my opinion, but all you guys out there claiming audible switching noise are a little misguided. I own a class D integrated amp and it plays the music pure and simple. Cheers.........