DIY Record Cleaning Solution

I just purchased a vpi 17 record cleaner. I'd like to make my own solution. Any suggestions? What has worked for you?
jimateo
Headsnappin, didn't realize you started the thread. BTW, Harry's recipe (he posted it on Audio Asylum) isn't the same as what's sold as "VPI fluid." Anyone can make of that what they will :-)
"...Of course not - the manufacturers aren't going to tell you because they know you'll go out and make up your own cleaning solutions ...

Do a search for the product's MSDS (material safety data sheet). If you can't find it on the web, then ask the Mfg as they are required to supply it. Some MSDS's wll give you both the idenity of the contents and a close estimate of how much they use. Others will just give the compounds used. Markups on simple & extremely cheap chemicals, solvents, surfactants (soaps) can be stunning.

also...dopo...IPA (isopropanol, isopropyl alcohol) is rubbing alcohol..maybe you're thinking of ethyl alcohol?
Looks like the opinions are across the board on this issue. I really wanted to try to make my own fluid, just to see if it made any difference. The fluids available seem expensive, and I'd like to try some "home made" if possible. What has worked for you, and what is the content/formula you've had sucess with?
THANKS!

Jim
Fishboat, you're right of course about the alcohol. I just rechecked Weisfeld's recipe and he did say Isopropyl.
Here is one i have used sucessfully. 28 ounces distilled water, 4 ounces isopropyl, and 1 teaspoon of dawn diswashing detergent. I have also substituted an enzyme detergent solution instead of dawn. Both work very well with a steaming regiment. I have a diy rcm that i use also. I have used the solution with dawn for many years.