Do I need a preamp/processor?

Hi everyone, 

Home theater is new to me so I need assistance. The question I have is do I need a HT preamp/processor to properly listen to movies (DVD, streaming etc)?  I currently have a 2 channel system using a Red Dragon S500 amplifier, Schiit SYS preamp, and Kef ls50 speakers.  I’m mainly streaming Tidal through a Sonos Connect which is connected to the preamp via rca.

I would like to add in the capability to listen to movies through the ls50s and Red Dragon. I’m currently doing it by running a toslink cable to an external DAC then rca to the preamplifier, then rca to the amp. The hook up works but it doesn’t sound that great. 

I was planning on upgrading my preamp anyway, and it was suggested that a HT preamp/processor might be a good alternative. It sounds very appealing since it would do double duty for me. However I’m still vacillating between the two choices since some nice 2 channel preamps pop up every so often.  

Please help!

autre
A Processor preamp is for decoding and sending the correct info to the different channels 5.1 or 7.1.

(Unless you plan on getting more speakers and more amplifiers to drive them you can get by without)

Using your 2 channel setup with LS50’s:

I would change up the source. Invest in a Oppo universal player/DAC, the BDP 105 and other models have variable volume control so I think you could hook it directly to your Red Dragon or still use the Schiit. Once you have a great source you can build from there and add to it. EXAMPLE: you could add a music server because the Oppo is a DAC already and a dam good one with USB 2.0 audio input it can be easily connected to anything! , the Oppo's sound is so good it is Stereophile rated class A (BDP105) with dual audio outs XLR and RCA connections. Did I mention it up samples (using some of the best video circuitry on the planet) all your DVD’s to 4K! Oppo makes many models for all budgets.

You could also use a PS4pro as a source it is only $400 and has digital (optical) audio outs so u can use a outboard dac then to your system pre amp , It is a great universal player, video/music streamer and with Playstation Vue u can get all ur TV shows as well.

Matt M
This is always a bit of an issue. You could use a Parasound P7, which has 7.1 in and out along with something like an Oppo 103 or later which has 7.1 outs.

This is what I do. I'm a little disappointed with the P7 however, as it is not completely transparent and takes a little air out of the signal.

One "audiophile" solution I have been toying with is the idea of a Krell HTS, but others here seem ti like Marantz a great deal as well.

Best,

E

Erik's suggesting of combining an Oppo 103/105/203/205 with a Parsound P7 is an excellent one.  There are also looking at a really nice HT Processor.  It all depends on your budget.  Can you give us an idea of what you're able or willing to spend here?

Also, when playing movies, one of the critical elements is a center channel.  The center channel combined with left/right would significantly increase the clarity and impact of vocal dialogue and sound from the movie.  In movies, the center channel is used 90% of the time, with left/right being supporting speakers.  It increases the ambience of the movie experience.

I would think about adding a third LS50 speaker for center channel purposes and combine it with a Red Dragon M500 single channel amp, in addition to the Oppo/Parasound or an HT Processor selection.

Thanks for the replies. Is the audio that comes out of my tv via toslink in mono or is it in stereo?
This might be far fetched but if a processor replaces the preamp and DAC in my current set-up, is it possible to add in wireless speakers and have the processor transmit the correct channel to each speaker via Sonos, while still using the wired ls50s as the front speakers?