Do subwoofers really help?

Easy question here all...if you mismatched your amp and speakers (meaning your amp has trouble with the load of the speaker), do Subwoofers really fix that problem? Is it smarter just to sell your speakers and get ones that better match the amp?
128x128bobrock
What is the nature of the 'mis-match'?
Impedance of speaker too low for amp?
Phase angle problem......amp can't produce enough power?
How can you tell there is a problem? distortion? Smoke/flames?/ Neighbors complain? Dog leaves room when you start the Stereo?
How did you end up with this combination? What's going to prevent you from doing it again?

Fixing this problem by buying MORE stuff is probably not the answer. You can do as others suggest, add complexity and drive yourself nuts with fine tuning / messing about. OR..... get a proper amp if you love the speakers or proper speakers if you love the amp.
Perhaps you should contact Paul Speltz regarding the autoformers before you make any big steps. I have not tried these, but I believe the purpose of them is related to your issues. Based on my assumption that the impedance curve of your speakers combined with their sensitivity and amps' dampening is creating the problem. I don't own or use the autoformers or zeroformers, but I think this is what they are supposed to address.
No, it's smarter to get a better amp. Why would anyone try to match speakers to an amp?

I find speakers I like...and then buy the amp they need (unless my current amp works fine with my new speakers).

Of course, if you have a good pair of speakers, and an amp that can handle their load with ease....adding a subwoofer (or two) is going to make things easier on all components involved....less work everywhere, and more options on placement (the best sound for mid/highs, is not always the best placement for bass reproduction)

Dave
I'm not crazy because when I replace my speakers with less sensitive ones (Focals for example) 2 things happen...Bass improves, and I don't have to turn the volume up as high to get good sound. I am an amateur and I did not pay attention to the specs on the speaker before purchasing. The Imepedance curve on the speaker is too steep. I am not buying a $4000 amp just to drive them.