Dunlavy SC IV or Merlin VSM M

looking to buy a pair of used higher end speakers. Does anyone have an opinion on which one of these is better? Both are available in my local used market. Thanks for your input.
aperez1958
Both great speakers, but apples and oranges. Room dimensions and associated equipment will dictate your choice.
The Merlin is a fine speaker, but the Dunlavy IVs, if set up properly in a reasonably large room, will perform at a level that is equal to or better than the majority of high-end speakers today.

Things to remember about the Dunlavy speakers...They are very narrowly focused, which means that there will be an amazing but relatively small sweet spot for critical listening. They may sound a tad bass shy, albeit very tight and tuneful bass, unless you have an amp with a high 'damping factor'. They are incredibly revealing of your electronics, cabling, tweaks, etc.

Overall then, the Merlin is a better 'plug and play' speaker, where as the Dunlavy speaker has higher-end capability but must be 'worked with' to get it all to come together.
I have had different results than Brauser with Dunlavy SCIV speakers. First of all, when set up properly the SCIV can produce stunning bass. In fact they are rated from 25hz to 20khz +/-1.5db. John Dunlavy's set up recommendation suggests starting 8" from the wall behind the speakers and pulling them out until you achieve the desired balance. Too many audiophiles forget about sound quality and set up speakers based on imaging, focus and depth. In the process the speakers end up in the middle of the room with no reinforment from room boundaries.

In my opinion the SCIV does not have an especially narrow sweet spot. I used this speaker in several configurations and the best results were with the speakers placed 15' apart and toed in toward the listening position. At this distance there was no loss of focus and the speakers produced a holographic wrap around sound with very impressive bass.

The SCIV is a big speaker and should be used in a big room. The cabinet is 6' tall and 18" deep. In a small room the cabinet alone will become a problem with its large reflective surface. On the other hand if you have a large room the SCIV is an efficient speaker and will play at reasonably high volume levels with 60 tube watts.

If you have an average size room buy the Merlins.