Dunlavy SC-IVa Set up help

I have been playing with various speaker placements for the last several months and just can't seem to get the speakers to sound right. The frequency response bouncing all over. When I get the midrange to sound good, the bass sounds weak. When the bass sounds good, the midrange is lacking. The room size is 12x21 with the speakers on the short wall. Seeting possition is about 17feet from the front wall. I have to use the short wall because the room is also used for HT. My pre amp is an aragon soundstage and my amp is a pass labs x350. CD Player is an Anthem CD-1

Anyone in North Jersey (Rockaway) care to give me a hand ? I will supply the beer and load the grill with dogs & burgers.

Thanks,
Mike
mcreight
You might like top do some research on speaker set up using some of the 'systems' as described on the various sites, such as Rives site whcih has a CARA program, the Cardas System, the Audio Physic's method and the Dunlavy System. Look at the AA forum for further info on these.

Couple of comments though. For these speakers to work on the short wall they are going to have to come out into your room several feet to smooth out the bass, you're going to have to make sure that the 1st reflection points on the side walls and floor are deadened and/or severe toe in to avoid the effect of the side walls, and you're going to have to play with your listening position considerable to get anything close to optimum. Think triangle. I hope you have a test CD and a meter to help you assess the in room frequency response.

I'd also suggest if you want further assistance here that you give a physical description of your present set up (exact speaker and listening position) as well as any limitations you have regarding placement of either.
Dunlavy's like to be seperated by a fairly large margin. Keep this in mind, along w/Newbee's advice.
Hi, I have a pair of SC-V sigs, in a 23 x 14 x 8 room set up on the short wall. Speaker baffle 40" from rear wall 28 in. from side wall. These figures may be of some use, or none at all. It all depends on the surfaces in the room , furnishing, doors, passthroughs, carpet, or hardwood, or concrete floors etc... if you would like, shoot me an email

Scot