Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Since this thread started I have been contacted by numerous people wanting to join this party, but they are too intimidated.
This is the reflex thought that I heard often, but IMO the ET arm is not only very transparent sonically but also in its technical design.
It’s quite easy to adjust and very logical so.
Regarding what I have seen in radial tonearm adjustments, I’d say there is *much* less probability that something is going really wrong. To do it really optimal it’s the usual old song... :-) And not different than any other analog setup.
(Typing this while listening to my Raspi3 Hifiberry Digi+ streamer...)
John the ebay ad wording

this is an upgraded** Eminent Technology ET2.5 Air Bearing Tonearm

implies to me that it is an original ET 2.0, whose manifold and spindle were sent to Bruce. An ET 2.5 Manifold and Spindle returned to the previous owner. This can also explain why there are two aluminum arm wands. All other parts I Beam, Arm Plate Mount / VTA Block, Joint (Gooseneck) are shared between the two versions.

It is rare to find a 2.5 manfiold/spindle for sale in auctions. If I were building from used purchases a 2.5, or for that matter even the 2.0;  I would still be ordering from Bruce the upgraded aluminum gooseneck (joint), mounting plate ......and the long beam :^)

the Ebay ad wording of "upgraded" is also misleading. If one plays MM cartridges the 2.0 is the better choice. All depends on which the listener prefers.
If I recall buried in this thread somewhere, there are close to 3000 ET tonearms out there. How many would there have been if the ET 2.0 tonearm was not introduced the same year as the perfect sound (cd). 8^0

A dozen bidders already.
The 2.0 in good shape sell for $800 - $1000 without the pump system.
This one is at $660 already. That is $814 in Cdn dollars. 

Pegasus
This is the reflex thought that I heard often,

When people come over if interested in the turntable. I let them feel the tonearm - without air.  They see how much movement there is (nothing without force). I tell them wait a second and go turn on the air.

Try it again. I say.
They move the spindle in and out again with the air on. It actually "freaks" a few of them out.    "Holy crap"  "Holy shite" common language heard.

$1805!!! My bid wasn’t good enough. I wanted that manifold, damn it! 😥