Experience with Metrum Octave DAC

Stanwal, I see you have one in the pipeline, any news?
vicdamone
Ronrags - I have used the Metrum with both coax and optical and I'd say they sound very similar. Due to the variables involved (cables, transport output), it's difficult to make a precise comparison, but the two Metrum inputs are approximately equal in quality.
Jult52, thanks for your response. Concerning reclocking, is this a variable with either input?
Ronrags - Not sure I understand your question, but I've been meaning to post an update on my Metrum experience so let me do that, which addresses reclocking.

I got the Metrum about 5 weeks ago and was immediately impressed by its vivid & immediate sound, the way it separated the voices and by the way it represented winds, brass & guitars. This is an excellent piece of equipment. But I also found it had some problems, especially with stringed instruments (violins, etc.) and to a lesser extent voices, which were sometimes harsh and brittle. Because I use an inferior transport, I introduced a reclocker into the chain (an Audio Gd DI-3) to see if that would help. The answer is yes, reducing jitter has had a clear impact (ron - I use it through coax/SPDIF). So the working rule that the Octave is very sensitive to transport quality is true in my experience. The Octave is so revealing that it highlights weaknesses in your audio chain and in the recording as well. It reminds me of my Magnepans, in that way.

Anyway, the Metrum is an excellent DAC, but it is very sensitive to jitter (not surprising due to its lack of filters) and I think cable quality, too, and may force system changes, which is a typical effect of a component that marks a big upgrade.
All the DACs I have used are sensitive to transport used; I use a Meridian 200 with Transparent Reference digital cable; the cable has a list price about 50% above the Metrum.
Jult52, based on your response, the Octave is very sensitive to jitter and a reclocker was necessary in your case. I guess my question was whether a reclocker is necessary since I'm using the squeezebox touch. I previously used the W4S DAC 1 and the Benchmark DAC 1 and wasn't impressed by the sound even after they were both burned-in. I guess the Squeezebox might be the weak link and requires a reclocker as you experienced.