Finding the 'weakest link' when upgrading?

Being able to find the weakest link when upgrading is really, really important.
Otherwise a different new component may never really be able to show how it is better. Since the other ’weak’ component(s) is(are) masking the new components better sound.

This is a difficult problem.

My best example is not exactly about the least sound quality, but it may show something about it.
I upgraded a good portion of my equipment all at once when I retired. And I still had in my system an old DAC I bought used. When I received most of the new components (including new preamp, new amp, new speakers and a new turntable and cartridge), I was comparing my old DAC with the new one. And found no sonic difference. I mean I tried every way I could and could not hear any difference between them/ So either I just wasted $25,000 for nothing or?? I was very frustrated.
Anyway, after three weeks I got another new bit which had to be ordered and built
When I plugged in the phono box, an epiphany and a flood ot tears.. My $25,000 of new equipment really was better. Since the phono box sounded glorious, thus it made it clear all the rest of the system WAS NOT holding back the new DAC. That new DAC was actually just not any better than my old one. And I returned it.

And unless I just happened to acquire that new phono box a week later, I would have been stumped why the new DAC (which was praised to the skies by both Stereophile and TAS) was not doing better.
I was seriously bummed and confused about wasting a ton of money... until I played the new phono box.

Now it was kind of odd that the two DACs, one, used for $250 )it’ original list price was $1,000) and the other $2,400 and 12 years newer) could sound so alike. But chance happened. (And toss in the official guru magazine praise with it all)
==================================================================

Anyway, how do we find the right part to upgrade? Since making the wrong choice can leave one in the same boat I was in back in my example? (at least until I got the phono box)

I do not have an answer. and I ask.. does anyone?
For me it is just kind of a sixth sense, with little real science to it.

In general I have been kind of lucky.
But how do I know I have managed well?

I do not know.
It has been better more often than not.
(Though I have made a few really terrible choices over many years now and then. Costly choices)

Anyway, my question is how do you make the choice of what to upgrade?
How do you know or decide which is you weakest component?

And do you agree finding the weakest component is really important in the path of upgrading, or one might be making expensive mistakes buying gear, or trying gear? (which may really be great, yet you cannot hear it due to some other weak links in the chain? And though I hate to say so, this weak link may even be cables, or powercords or even the AC from the wall*.

*(but please do not get into a big theory arguments about interconnects and powercords and power conditioners.) Stick to the main topic of knowing how to find the weakest link.
elizabeth
@ivan_nosnibor   Great post. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.

....in the end, system building is for each of us our own act of creation...nothing more and nothing less, really...

For me it is art, perhaps even an art form.
Post removed 

I've read here that some believe speakers are the weakest link.  

I had a nice complete setup that was well matched and made that decision.  I decided to upgrade the speakers to a higher quality tier for a variety of reasons and knew what I was going to buy.  As soon as I put them in with everything else the magic wasn't there.  I sadly knew that the rest of the system couldn't keep up and exploit the quality of the speakers that I knew was there.  I believe all the pieces need to be in a somewhat similar quality tier or they are either the weak link or wasted money that goes unexploited.

Elizabeth didn't want this thread to morph into a sequence of upgrades discussion but if you change your speakers you very likely need to address the amp next unless the amp was already good enough for the next tier speaker jump and it mates well on technical terms.

If you are confident that the speaker/amp combo is solid, I recommend using listening friends to hear your system and provide what they think is the weak link.  They hear without owner bias.  After I got my speaker/amp combo right I didn't even know I had a weak link, but I was still seeking that magic I knew the speakers could provide.  Both local and online friends urged me to replace my preamp.  They were right, that was the weakest  link at that point.  After I fixed that it was obvious a turntable upgrade could finally be exploited and not held back as the last step.

Others have said finding the weak link allows all the other pieces to shine.  I agree that is possible, but it may also allow the next weak link to be more obvious.  Use your friends who listen with you to help. 

I am waiting for my new speakers as I type this. Two weeks down, about two weeks before they are in my apartment, I expect.
I could also upgrade my amp (Bryston 4B-SST²) to a pair of Bryston 7B3, but i decided to wait and break in the Magnepan 20.7 with my old amp. Get used to the speakers and see if I really think I need a pair of new amps...
Best of luck, absolutely seems the best way to go.

Your current amplifier should be more than enough up to the task of driving the 20.7s. Magnepan are little known in the UK but everything we hear is good.

It will be interesting though to hear what you think of the setup. By any normal account your system must be up there in the top 1% of what's available right now.