Garrard 301-Worth the effort?

A friend very generously gave me his Grandfather's Garrard 301 to restore or sell. It's not in bad shape, but won't play yet as it looks like it needs a new idler wheel and spindle (so far). I'm not crazy about the tonearm (Garrard with unknown Shure Cartridge) or plinth (plywood box). My dilemma is whether it's worth the effort and money to fix or would I be better off selling it and putting the money towards something new, possibly a VPI classic with a better tonearm? I currently use a Harman Kardon T-65C with a Grado Statement Sonata II and am very happy. But maybe I don't know any better. I've read great things about the 301, but I'm more into the music than collecting antique pieces.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
heyraz
Look at it another way. If you spend around a third the amount that you had planned to spend for a new turntable on fixing up the Garrard, after decent research on the possibilities, of course, you'll be out a couple of grand. That's the going price of a 301 without a plinth or tonearm. You could pull off completing it with trimmings by buying a nice used tonearm and decent cartridge. For that money you would have a really nice setup that would sell for more, if you ever decided to get rid of it. That's the key. It is an investment piece that sounds good. You will always be able to recover your money because it is a very good audio investment, especially when there was no initial cost for it. If you are handy, keep it.
Hi,

Do you happen to have the anti-skating weight (on a string) and the counterbalance weight that slide on the two thin aluminum posts located at the back of the tonearm?

I just bought a used T65C that is missing both of them - it has the black counterweight to balance the weight of the cartridge and apply the proper tracking weight, but not the other two smaller weights.

If you do not have these two small weights, does the TT work well without them?

Thanks,
Dave
.and am very happy. But maybe I don't know any better

That is absolutely ok. There are lots out there who know nothing and are happy with their stuff. Be lucky, this year analog has started to go back to yesteryear. Lots believe in these old designs and are willing to spend a fortune for it. Polish and hug it, or much better, find someone who can drill a plinth from any wood in your area and sell it. Or go in Production with that. You will become wealthy. 10k$ for such a woody unit shouldn't be a big problem. Find some friends at Audiogon who support you and will create a Fangroup. And don't sell to anyone. Offering money is not enough, they have to be worthy to buy it.
as it was said in another thread the Garrard301 is a nice Mini Cooper- nothing more. It depends where you are heading too. Regarding Quality and listening pleasure you may end up somewhere else but if you are enjoying crossing technical barriers this is a `must do project`.

Best @ Fun Only