Good match with Sonus Faber Grand Pianos

Here is my current set-up:

Sonus Faber Grand Pianos (original version)
Linn Lk-140 amp
Linn K-400 bi-wire speaker cable
Linn Cinema Classik Source
Not set on ICs yet – think of Blue Haven or Red Dawn, but open to suggestions

I’m not sure if I need more power for these speakers. I plan to eventually sell the Cinema Classik although it is doing good double duty as a CD and DVD source. I’ve considered going tubes but my understanding is that I would have to get a pretty high powered tube amp so I might just go tube pre and keep with a SS amp. I eventually want to go to a Supratek Chennin but am holding off until I work up a good turntable project.

I need advice on the amp side or integrated amp side. Would I be better off adding an addition Lk-140 and biamping and then purchasing the pre-amp later along with a turntable? My other option would be to pick up a Simaudio I5 and a new digital source. This would require some more work on the phono side as the I5 doesn’t have a phono pre – also not sure if the total cost would be worth it. I would also have to change my speaker cables around but this wouldn’t be too tough.

I listen to jazz, reggae, rock, funk, blue grass, etc.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Erik
erik_tolzmann
Same old replies from SF Grand Piano owners and I'll add one here myself. I own the GP's and have upgraded my amplification a couple of times before settling for the PLinius SA-100MkIII. I have used a Classe CAP-100 and ARC D130 on the GP's and they never sounded alive until I got the high-current Plinius. I would strongly urge you to get a considerably powerful amp to drive the GP's as they would definitely benefit from the increased power. I have never tried tube amps on the GP's but heard that they sound pretty darn good on them, but just make sure you feed the GP's with ample power.
I would backup your idea of bi-amping the SFs, you have a Linn based system, once you invite a new member to your rack you may need to change the rest of the components, avoid getting there IMO.

Fernando
I too own Sonus GP's, and found that more power is the way to go. When I first got into the high end audio market I powered my GP's with a rotel 1080 rated at 200 wpc. after a while i wanted and realized my speakers needed more power. I went with two classe ca-101's, and i run them as mono amps. According to the spec sheets, the amps are giving the GP's approx 500 wpc.......and I must say it was a HUGE improvement over what I was use to hearing. Much more detail, tighter sound, extended base, and bigger soundstage. That is my 2 cents worth of advice. Good luck to you with this.
Keith_316,
I have a rather naive question. The GPs recommend 50-250 watts power in the owners manual. Do you worry (does anybody worry?) about going at twice the recommended power? Just curious.
I have never run into a problem by providing too much power, I can't think of a time where I could stand to listen to it long enough to warrant all the power, but I have noticed that the extra oomph has helped add to detail, and fullness in the music.

One think that amazed me was a MCIntosh demonstration that i went to.....they demoed an amp for us, and asked the audience what we thougth the "wattage" was to reach the volumes we heard........one watt was loud!