great hdmi cable....archives

looking for a great hdmi cable for the pioneer elite 1130 plasma....couldn't find much in the archives, but maybe i missed it...can spend a couple hundred bucks...thanks, brent
128x128knollbrent
ok, if you connect a HDMI cable and have the DVD player on first, so the DVD player cannot get a signal back from the device (the 'handshake') the signal is being sent to, the HDMI cable connection may:
1) not work at all.
2) may only send low res piture and audio info.
The HDMI connection is designed to require a conversation (a so called handshake) between sender and receiver to allow hi-def signals to pass.
IF no such conversation takes place, the sending unit is to automatically downconvert the signal. This all depends on the exact impementation of the devices and the implementation of the HDMI system in the various machines.
My experience was when the Denon DVD-2910 was on first, (the FIRST TIME EVER) before the Plama SOny TV was on.. The connection did not work at all.
After being pissed and such I finally SHUT OFF the DVD and disconnected it. Then turned on the TV first and on the correct selection. THEN when the DVD was turned on, the 'handshake' signal was completed and the HDMI cable worked fine.
Once this handshake is completed, you do not have to worry until the units are disconnected.
If you got a connection and the pic looks so-so, try disconnecting the power to the sending unit, so it forgets, then turn on the receiving unit and THEN the DVD ot tuner, and maybe the connection will decide to work properly.
Of course, some folks have never had any problem... blah blah.. but if you DO... this is why.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Elizabeth, fortunately for me I haven
t had any such problems, but I am using different gear.
I have been selling a Philips HDMI cable for 3 years now with great response. Remember the HDMI is digital so error correction takes out the problems associated with most typical cable problems. My 6 foot cables sell for 42.95 + 4.95 shipping.