Gunk will not clean off LP ?

I purchased a used Jimmy Smith LP that is absolutely scratch free but had an extremely dull shine to the vinyl. I clean all LPs with a VPI 16.5 RCM and Disc Doctor before play and that has always brought back the original shine to the Vinyl. This time it did not come back to shine and on playback sounds like the LP had been treated with something that did not come off in cleaning. After 2 cleanings it appears there still is some sort of treatment that had been applied and did not come off. It’s a great album but I am afraid to play it because whatever it is I don’t want it to gunk up my stylus. Any ideas on how to clean it off? Thanks Bill
128x128billt1
Gregm....There are many on the market. Visit the detergent aisle of your supermarket. I am most familiar with the heavy duty hand cleaner stuff (used after working on your car) but it includes pumace and would be unsuitable for LPs.

The DuPont solvent in the product that Albert identified may in fact be what we came up with at work. The Micro Care Premier product is the safe approach, as it has been evaluated specifically for LPs. If you are interested in experimenting, and want to save a few bucks, try something from the supermarket.
Thanks for all the responses. The haze does look like something was intentionally applied; I suppose an anti static attempt? Since I have reentered the vinyl world recently I have purchased and cleaned hundreds of used LPs and this is the first time I ran across this. As Albert suggested I am going to try alcohol and if it doesn’t sound better after that I may clean the LP with it as well. So if drinking alcohol or cleaning the album with alcohol doesn’t improve it then I’ll take Jaybo’s suggestion and toss it
Don't know about cleaning Gunk, but this product looks interesting. Safe for vinyl.

Sporicidin Enzymatic Cleaner

Enzymatic Cleaner Recommended Uses

* Pre-cleaner for mold / Indoor Air Quality remediation and restoration
* Carpet, fabric and upholstery cleaning
* Pet stain and odor removal
* Ultrasonic cleaning
* Cleans clothing and linens
* Safe for use in automatic washers
* Removes dried blood and protein stains
* Cleans rubber, plastics, stainless steel, vinyl and much more
* Deodorizes as it cleans

Sporicidin Enzymatic Cleaner Features and Benefits

* Non-staining
* Non-toxic
* Non-flammable
* Mildly alkaline (pH 7.5)
* Low foaming, concentrated formulation
* Special blend containing a cellulose enzyme and a proteinizing enzyme for cleaning and removing material stains and breaking down both organic and inorganic debris
* Contains enzyme preservative for added stability
* Safe for use on rubber, stainless steel, vinyl, plastics, linens, clothing, carpets, fabrics and upholstery
* Reduces the need for manual scrubbing
* Economical highly concentrated formula - 1 ounce makes 1 gallon of cleaning solution

$29.50/gallon of concentrate. One gallon of concentrate makes 128 gallon of cleaner.
Further discussion with a Sporicidin rep has resulted in this recommendation by the Sporicidin technician.

Sporicidin Enzyme Mold Cleaner. An effective enzyme combination of protease (to remove protein), amylase (to remove starch) and lipase (to remove fat), which also quickly dissolves and removes mold and organic matter.

$32/quart of concentrate that makes 16 gallons of cleaner. Does not leave a protective film unlike Sporicidin Enzymatic Cleaner mentioned in my previous post.