Hegel H590 List $13,500. Reasonable?

So I just saw the Darko Audio review for the Hegel H590 and thought I'd take a look into the price. I'm well aware that their gear is made in China, which isn't the topic of this thread really but it's somewhat related... anyway

Considering that the amp is made in China, is this price reasonable or fair? It puts it into the 5 figure price range which can get you an Accuphase or Luxman top of the line integrated. Or even Pass Labs.

I was honestly very surprised at this price, I thought it would be about half of the price it's going for.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xd2girls
I dunno what to tell you.  My speakers were 8.5K and are made in China and I love them.  Better buy the Hegel before it goes up in price.  More import tariffs are a coming.
Post removed 
11k USD is actually over 14k in my currency (canadian dollars)so you guys are actually paying even more than I am.
I expect after it's been out a bit we'll be able to get them for $10k and the unit will probably sound as good or better than the other sota int's with the biggest exception, Hegel doesn't flash like ML or Mac or Dan D even though it gets you there, rides like a caddy looks like a chevy with buick prices.
Plenty of brilliantly designed gear comes out of China, but if their gear is at a premium cost I get suspicious...Hegel plays down the Chinese thing, but has admitted someplace they have stuff made there...but being more expensive than even ARC or McIntosh seems somewhat exploitative and money grubbing. The seem to have an unlimited promo budget though, and get every item reviewed in all the mags with rarely ever a mention of Chinese manufacturing.
Post removed 
I got no problem with audio products made in China. Reminds me of the 70's and Japanese cars. In fact my next DAC will likely be the Denefrips Terminator which is made in China.

@hugh_jahsol22  How is the 590 sounding in your system?
Brilliant branding though...headquartered in Olso and sounds like a German company yet made in China.
Pass would be my choice plus its made in the USA with great sales and service.I heard Hegal service is not that great.Good luck though!!
Another China bashing thread with no useful content. I heard a Line Magnetic integrated amplifier - not sure about the model, but with some very large and  hot tubes just yesterday paired with a DeVore 0/96 and it was one of the best sounds I've ever heard. Built as solid as anything I've seen out of, well anywhere.  
I'm not bashing China made gear. I own the Kinki Studio ex-m1 integrated amplifier which is made in China.
Considering the quality of the HegelH590, its various connections, power ouput, Dac and last but not least its capabilities, its price than seems reasonable in comparison with the competition, but of course the best way is to audition it .  I understand that the higher end Sonus Faber speakers are now made in China, but it has not affected its prices?  However if one wants to go the opposite way how about Simaudio Moon amps, 10 year warranty all made in Canada, or Naim Amps made in UK with proven pedigree in all matters relating to customer service. 
Post removed 
 We recently received a h590 at the hifi audio shop I work per time at in Edmonton. We have it playing on a pair of PMC Fact 12s.  I have to admit that it’s the best integrated amplifier I have ever heard. 
  Hegel makes no mention of Chinese manufacturing  anywhere that I have seen. But let’s be real, there are some great manufacturers companies in China. I don’t think it’s the Chinese manufacturing, it’s the $13,000 price tag.  
  What I’ve heard from this new Hegel integrated amp, I would definitely put it in my rack. Cheers 
Hegel makes great sounding gear that is very well built regardless of where they put it together.

Their digital has gotten much better as well.

Their products are not cheap but not over the top either.

They do a REALLY good job at combining excellent resolution and transparency with really good dynamics but with a relaxed sound.

Some may say too laid back but that is not accurate. It is one of those amps that is appreciated over a longer time and over time they grow more and more on you.  

Their discrete engine tech is legit. Low distortion and clean and tight but smooth. They actually do a really good job at things others just can't seem to get right.  

They actually have a very sophisticated and refined sound   

The question is IMO has little do with where they assemble the parts but more to the point "is this the sound you want"? Does it fit with what I am after system totality wise.

Do not fear their quality of build or sound because both are top notch. The build design maybe understated but the quality is legit first rate for its price point. 

Me, I like my music a little more raw. With a little more bite and a little more down and dirty.

I want my amp to get up in there. I want to refine things out on the source end.

I like Pass a lot for this but not as much with their integrated's which are fine just not as great as their amps IMO. 

Hegel doesn't make any good preamp's as they are all crap IMO but they do a real nice integrated so go figure on that one..

I like the ARC REF or Simaudio Evolution for their preamps for their speed and transparency but overall prefer the Pass amps but they are just more to my taste is all.

The China thing definitely doesn't help them for sure so I agree with you  

For me the Hegel is just a little too nice but that might be just what the other person looking at it wants,

My source might so refined I want more grit out of my amp and you might have more grit from your source and want more refinement out of you amp but there is no question that it is good quality unit.

These are the question I would be asking.

I actually wouldn't mind hearing one because I know for a fact that Hegel has put a bunch of work, energy and resources into improving their digital and it is so much better than it was just a few years ago.

This amp takes Ethernet direct to stream Roon right in the Int. amp and unfold the MQA Files which is awesome for an integrated.

I am not sure most people understand just how much better direct Ethernet is verse USB but word is starting to get out.

When Brian Zolner of Bricasti fame put the direct Ethernet in the M1 DAC it changed everything. It made a great DAC and insanely good DAC.

When I was talking to Brain he was explaining just how ethernet has so many inherent SQ fundamental advantages over USB. It is just so much easier to get much better sound quality from verse USB and if you work at it then it demolishes USB and now this amp is offering the Ethernet direct input so if it is anything like what Brain put in the Bricasti then this could be a very special and unique integrated?  

They rebuilt and upgraded their output stage and doubled down on already very good power supply and with their 2nd Gen proprietary engine tech has always been great so this has the change to be a pretty serious combo. 

Moreover, this amp should be available around $7500 - $8000 in US early 2019 and even though I prefer Pass amps, Simaudio Evolution preamps and Bricasti digital this is an integrated I would love to hear in my system for sure. Certainly over any Mac integrated. No disrespect but they are not really even trying to compete with the stuff we are talking about here.  

I have no problem bashing China. They deserve it for all of the fraud I have to deal with. Only a sucker would buy a $13K made in China amp. 
And only a bigger fool would believe China is not capable of building an amp as good as anyone .
invictus005"I have no problem bashing China."

This is a common, ordinary, typical, remark from a "proud American" who believes USofA  is the greatest nation on earth as it enslaves it's own people and allows them to be murdered, slaughtered and annihilated on your streets and as your president is the subject of laughter, ridicule, and derision around the world so of course you have "no problem" you are great, invincible and superior to all others.
Interesting thread. It is unfortunate to see that it has turned both political and ignorant at the same time. Good luck with your purchase.
Way over-priced for a product made in china...
Has it ever cross your mind price would be 2x or 3x more if NOT made in China?

Happy Listening and Keep Me Posted!
Post removed 
China’s electronics region is every bit as good as other country’s electronics region. After all, Apple builds nearly all their products there. China simply reverse engineers other high end gear and builds up similar products. 
joecasey"Relatively speaking USofA is the greatest nation on earth"

You have been controlled, brainwashed, and manipulated and when you have travelled the world and experienced other peoples, nations, and cultures you will realize the USofA has become a cesspool of waste, decay, and corruption I have to visit usually a few times each year on business and I am always happy to leave it is the least favorite of my travel destinations and I also travel to the Middle East and Russia so what does that tell you about you're great nation! 
I bought it and yes. Probably the best integrated with built-in DAC for the money in the market today. It is like an H30 with a 5k DAC. 
Follow your ears and no the geography and prejudices, unfortunately, come to light in every part of life these days. But the way what makes USA great is the contribution of everyone working together, inmigrants, those born here and all who lives here.
Enjoy the music
As good as my entry level Hegel H90 sounds I can’t imagine what the H590 is like. My setup is simple. Ethernet to my Hegel and Qobuz 16bit 44.1 via Airplay. I don’t know how they do it, but it sounds incredible. 
Now just to discover new music!
@jafant "Way over-priced for a product made in china..."

So country of origin dictates what a product is worth?  That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum lately.
Clearthink,
You’re welcome to never set foot in the U.S.A again and while you are at it you can stay off OUR audio websites as well.

You tell a bunch of Americans that our country is a cesspool of decay waste and corruption and that if we love our country we’re “proud americans”...

Really dude?  I love how tough everyone is on-line.  I’d like to see you run your mouth like that to anyone in the U.S in person.  And if the U.S. and its people suck so bad, why are you on our audio forum?  How about you just leave, then maybe the U.S. wouldn’t suck so bad.

Where’s a moderator?  This guy should be blocked
@clearthink

We Americans love our country just like you prob love yours.

Your comment was not very nice.  
This entire thread is a crap show, regardless of what country you're from or not from.
Everyone bashes the Chinese. Those folks can make some great products. My speaker (Raidho D3.1's in walnut burl) cabinets are made in china and they are fantastic looking and when you rap them with your knuckles they are very 'dead' sounding. It's all about profit - look at apple products for an example.
@ clear "think":
"...you will realize the USofA has become a cesspool of waste, decay, and corruption..."

and then he says:
"I am always happy to leave it is the least favorite of my travel destinations and I also travel to the Middle East and Russia so what does that tell you about you're great nation! "
From the 'corrupt USA to the ever shining Putin's 'democratic' Russia not to mention 3rd-world illegitimate regimes in the MIddle East -- sounds like this clear"think" fella is more of DumbFart juvenile.

In general terms, if you are willing to spend $13,500 or so on a piece of electronics that amplifies sound in your glorified audio system, there is plenty to pick from without having to advance China's Politburo tyranny and their regime. This is not an iPhone where you are locked into a product/manufacturer.
Liberty must be defended every step of the way -- ignorance is not an option.

example: https://www.cnet.com/news/be-patriotic-buy-american-made-audio/
Post removed 
I have to support Russia a little if only because Tung Sol's factory is still allowed to exist. Otherwise it surprises even me that my current amp and preamp are USA products...who knew? They aren't cheap though...my Schiit Freya preamp cost 700 bucks and my hand made Dennis Had amp was about 1200...lucky I'm friggin' wealthy!