Help my Rotel RCD 1072 make music

6 months ago I purchased used Rotel RCD 1072 to pair with my Rotel RA-1062 and B&W 683s. Since the 1072 has been in place, the sound I'm getting is very detailed but flat, sterile, dry. Which is surprising because I was using a cheaper Sony CE595 for 7 years which sounds smoother and warmer in comparison. The 1072 is very attractive and well built but the sound it produces is cold and unemotional. Has anyone else felt similar disappointment with Rotel cd players and what did you do to improve the performance? Cables AQ King Cobra and Bedrock. THanks.
dustsailor

dustsailor-

Rotel/B&W combo would benefit from using Transparent cabling instead of Audioquest.

Happy Listening!

I would try a different power source. Although I never personally heard a Rotel RCD-1072, I've read excellent things about them. I think the flat, sterile, dry sound you are experiencing may be the weakness of the preamp section of the RA-1062. I think Rotel makes great CD players and power amps, but I've personally never liked the sound of their preamps. The last one I owned was a RA985BX. I remember being in a similar situation and ended up pin-pointing the problem down to the preamp section. Since the 985 had pre-out/main-in jacks, I tested it using the pre-outs of a Denon DRA-625. The difference was amazing... and keep in mind, the Denon's preamp section isn't all that great to begin with. Sfall's choice of a Creek 5350SE or even an Exposure 2010s would be very good. Another option is a Simaudio Moon 250i/i1.   
I compared the 1072 to the Cambridge 640c many years ago and the Cambridge player easily bested the Rotel. Cambridge was more natural sounding, the Rotel more clinical and antiseptic. They make fine amps, but their CD players have always been their weakest link IMO.
Rotel, NAD, Cambridge...etc., will have a different presentation than the Sony.

Happy Listening!
Take the AC plug of the Rotel and put a cheater adapter on it.
Now Flip the ac polarity or orientation of the AC plug into the wall.
 Listen to see if you prefer it.
 Best Johnnyr